• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excess egg yolks and wedding desserts

Desiderio

I am a little in the fog for what to do with all the egg yolks I am saving, from macarons making!

The macarons are for a friend's wedding, and I am also making single serve dessert shooters. I am thinking something like stout cake and chocolate mousse, and a margarita cake (layered in 3 oz single serving shooters).

Any other ideas? I suppose I could make lemon curd of some sort and do a lemon blueberry one, since we still have blueberries available.

Or, one of the macaron is supposed to be orange cranberry, and I was thinking to make a cranberry (where am I going to find those now? Frozen section??) curd to place in the middle of the macaron with an orange buttercream on the outside ring. I made this super yummy cranberry meringue pie last Thanksgiving, it was absolutely divine, I think its NYT recipe (cranberry curd tart).

Boop, I am stuck in a loop 😶

Vanessa

I use yolks in creme brûlée, Atlantic Beach Pie, cannele, Chocolate Cream pie, chocolate mousse, chocolate pots de creme, chocolate salami, creme caramel, Diane Kennedy's flan, eggnog, hollandaise, Pierre Herme's Pastry Cream - I also use a dozen yolks in a recipe given to me by @patris for Kuchen. 

• Like 2

I was going to say lemon curd too, but how about lime curd for the margarita shooter? And yolk-based orange buttercream in the macarons.  You could do creme brulees in demitasse cups or make something with a creme anglaise or pastry cream type layer.  Or a more shootable shooter of berries in a shot of creme anglaise?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/french-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-recipe.html

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

If you cannot find frozen cranberries (and you might, just depends on how large your supermarket is); you can use the Trappist brand cranberry jam, or you can possibly use a low sugar, all natural cranberry juice to make a curd with.

Yes to @pastrygirl's suggestion for lime curd for the margarita shooter....

just how many yolks are we talking about?  For a frame of reference, we shelled a 15 dz case of extra large eggs today just for all the buttercream we need tomorrow; there was enough yolks for a triple batch of lemon curd (each batch uses 24 oz of yolks)......

• Like 1

Thank you! As always, lots of ideas :-)

For some reason I didn't even consider cranberry juice :-P I will give that a try, and make a French type buttercream that uses only egg yolk. The lime curd is a great idea, I think the bride would really enjoy that one.

Thank you for all the great suggestions, and your time 💗

• Like 2

Vanessa