• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White spots on chocolates (ez temper?)

kimmiq

It doesn't look like bloom, but it does come up a few minutes after setting. I had the same thing happen when I added colord cocoa butter to white chocolate. I think the only thing in common with these (besides me) is using silk from the EZ temper. I tried throwing out the first batch of silk, but it came up again with new cocoa butter silk. 

Just now, kimmiq said:

It doesn't look like bloom, but it does come up a few minutes after setting. I had the same thing happen when I added colord cocoa butter to white chocolate. I think the only thing in common with these (besides me) is using silk from the EZ temper. I tried throwing out the first batch of silk, but it came up again with new cocoa butter silk. 

FD00214F-7C15-4D49-AC85-11F1352B3ADA.jpeg

This is a job for @Kerry Beal but until she gets a chance to see it, I'll ask the obvious question. When I first started using the EZtemper I had to figure out the right temperature for the cocoa butter I was using because there were tiny pieces of almost but not quite melted cocoa butter suspended in the silk. After consulting Kerry and making a temperature adjustment, the problem went away. I'm guessing that's too simple to be the problem you're having but I thought I'd toss it out there while you wait to hear from someone more helpful.

Edit: and I see that I did not in fact ask the obvious question because, while I said what I intended to say, I completely failed to say it in the form of a question. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Is it solid chocolate or filled with something?  Is the garnish a plain raisin? 

Sometimes I get small lumps of silk in my chocolate, but not that small, and it looks pretty good otherwise (not dull and streaky) so I'm wondering if something salty or syrupy is drawing water 🤔

• Thanks 1

Looking at that green bit on the top - there appears to be bloom where it touches the chocolate, and the other bits of bloom look similar.  What is the green? Could this be sugar bloom or as suggested by @pastrygirl is there something salty or syrupy in there?

Can you post a picture of your silk?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Thanks 1

Looks lumpy - like it's got a lot of form VI crystals in it. Try melting it down completely - I don't hesitate to let it get to 60º C. Put it back into a scrupulously clean container and leave it at room temperature until it is fully hardened again. 

Then you can put it back in the EZtemper. If it is still lumpy - you might just need to bin it and get some 'fresher' cocoa butter. 

On 8/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Looking at that green bit on the top - there appears to be bloom where it touches the chocolate

I completely missed that, the concentrated area of it around the raisin. I'm slippin'. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 7 months later...

The dots you are facing on top of your chocolate is called sugar whitening.🙂

Let me explain: Sugar whitening is a phenomena where the water content in your ganache (center) migrate sugar crystals to the surface of your tempered chocolate. as result the sugar re-crystallize and form white dots.

• chocolate that its not well tempered helps on migration. 
  • if the temperature is high it will help migrate. 

How to fix it?

Double check your tempering numbers and make it right.

Make sure your conservation stock is cold 13 - 14C

Double check your ganache recipe as it might have over dose of water content (its very challenging to calculate water migrant to the surface.)

Merci

Francois

Chocolate & Pastry Instructor

Chocolate Author

www.cocoachocolateganache.com