• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 8/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, andiesenji said:

You can buy a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar with the "Mother" - there are a couple of other brands that carry it and

(snip)

Amazon and others online SELL wine mothers.

Thanks for the information!  As I mentioned in both my above posts, perhaps not clearly enough, I am not interested in making a vinegar this way.  I'm trying to create the mother without a starter culture, similar to the way people makes a starter sourdough culture, or a ginger bug, etc.  If you search for "how to make vinegar", nearly all results provide similar instruction to simply purchase Bragg's or some other vinegar with active cultures and go from there.  Again, this is not what I want to do. My inner mad-scientist wants to do things the hard way :) Sadly, I haven't found any instructions or details/info on this yet.  Thanks again for trying to help out, though, it's appreciated!

jedovaty

jedovaty

On 8/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, andiesenji said:

You can buy a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar with the "Mother" - there are a couple of other brands that carry it and

(snip)

Amazon and others online SELL wine mothers.

Thanks for the information!  As I mentioned in both my above posts, perhaps not clearly enough, I am not interested in making a vinegar this way.  I'm trying to create the mother without a starter culture, similar to the way people makes a starter sourdough culture, or a ginger bug, etc.  If you search for "how to make vinegar", nearly all results provide similar instruction to simply purchase Bragg's or some other vinegar with active cultures and go from there.  Again, this is not what I want to do. My inner mad-scientist wants to do things the hard way :) Sadly, I haven't found any instructions or details/info on this yet.