• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A4 Box Induction Cooker

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was using chopsticks, and let’s face it, my fingers, to manipulate these. 

@Anna N   I haven't used chopsticks to flip the meatballs and hash brown balls due to lack of skill, I use a jar spatula and it seemed to do a pretty good job of fitting around the food to flip.   I also start the A4 hotter than I think I need because the "balls" need to set pretty quick.

Your gougeres-balls look good to me.

14 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Anna N   I haven't used chopsticks to flip the meatballs and hash brown balls due to lack of skill, I use a jar spatula and it seemed to do a pretty good job of fitting around the food to flip.   I also start the A4 hotter than I think I need because the "balls" need to set pretty quick.

Your gougeres-balls look good to me.

Thanks. Yes I do believe that a hot pan is the route to go. It also occurred to me today after I had made them that the batter might’ve been more easily dispensed from a squeeze bottle provided of course that it had a large enough tip. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh No !

No No No

the A4 lookalike a unique Item

for " balls "  

ie various spherical iterms

now they need to consider 

a second or not 

" ball " field  

w die rent sized balls

just saying  

they do look nice and easytto do.

42 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I do believe I saw that technique is some of the videos about the A4 or similar products.  That's brilliant.

I have not yet watched such videos but I guess I should. 

For those who make popovers or  Yorkshire puddings (not sure what the difference is), the little book I got today has a method of using the A4 takoyaki pan insert in the oven to make tiny ones. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Used A4box to make large, thin, rectangular omelet this morning.  I did 4 whipped large eggs, but I think 3 would have been better.  I sauteed chopped  precooked bacon and leftover cooked plain bucatini noodles together in a little ham fat.   Then poured the whipped eggs over and put the lid on.  About 5-6 minutes on the mid-way dial heat setting.   Then I added blobs of some homemade fromage blanc with green onions and chopped celery in it ( I had been using it as a dip and it needs to be used up soonish) and then attempted a letter fold on the omelet.  It went better than I expected but not perfect since it was first attempt.  It was a clean out the fridge dish.  Great little Sunday breakfast for two.  

IMG_8952.JPG

• Like 3

Couldn't leave well enough alone this morning and a lightbulb went off in my head regarding the takoyaki pan, egg bites?!?!?!   I used four eggs and the remaining fromage blanc and whipped it.  I only did the half fill on the cups and slowly coaxed them over.  They look like yellow UFO's.  The texture is light and airy, souffle-ish.   I was worried they would be rubbery, the other tasters pronounced them light and airy and delicious.   So maybe a takoyaki pan victory.

IMG_8957.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 9.35.03 AM.png

IMG_8956.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

20 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

So maybe a takoyaki pan victory.

Perhaps then you can build on your victory and combine it with the idea of the squeeze bottle and make teeny egg “planets”! 

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I had only one small lamb chop to grill so I decided to try the A4Box.  The A4Box worked very well indeed.  As Anna has said, it does get hot.  Maybe I'll just save the Philips for bigger things.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I had only one small lamb chop to grill so I decided to try the A4Box.  The A4Box worked very well indeed.  As Anna has said, it does get hot.  Maybe I'll just save the Philips for bigger things.

My Philips is moving on. It just takes up too much room for the few times that I have used it.  I do find that the A4 Box does just fine for my one lamb chop or whatever else I need to cook for just me. I enjoyed playing with the Philips and I hope its next owner appreciates it as much as I did. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

I really like that  you’re willing and able to “share the joy”!

Thanks but I cannot accept unearned kudos. It was always here only temporarily. I simply do not have room for it. @Kerry Beal could not walk away from a bargain so I got the opportunity to play with it which I really enjoyed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I used the A4Box for some bluefish the other night.  Worked well.  And compared to bluefish on the Philips, it looked less like a trilobite.

So far my experiences with the A4Box have all been positive.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 4:41 PM, rotuts said:

Oh No !

No No No

the A4 lookalike a unique Item

for " balls "  

ie various spherical iterms

now they need to consider 

a second or not 

" ball " field  

w die rent sized balls

just saying  

they do look nice and easytto do.

If you want bigger balls than the A4Box just get a Lodge P7A3 Aebleskiver Pan and use it on your Paragon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is enjoying A4Box.

Since world is in chaos due to COVID-19. Please  stay at home with your family and be safe.

we wish safety for everyone and very healthy life ahead. 

Regards,

Pankaj 

• Like 3

Regards,

Pankaj Khatwani

Director

Brand - A4Box

www.afourbox.com

As luck would have it, I received some smoked pulled pork from a family member.   The remains of it were heated in the A4 with some tomatillo sauce (TJ's), some chopped hoagie sauce (Centos) and some cheap grated yellow cheese.

Scooped up with the TJ's flax seed corn chips.  And beers.  And sunset.  Patio food.   It was excellent and relaxing.

IMG_9252.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

• 4 weeks later...

You mean, like, put a non-ferrous pot on top of the griddle part and heat up?   Hmmm, don't see why that can't work, would be something like those metal heat diffusers I got with my original Burton.   Just a transfer of heat.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lemniscate said:

You mean, like, put a non-ferrous pot on top of the griddle part and heat up?   Hmmm, don't see why that can't work, would be something like those metal heat diffusers I got with my original Burton.   Just a transfer of heat.

Exactly.

• 2 months later...

The other night I dug the A4Box out for cooking swordfish.  So far anything that's not fatty grills well on the A4Box.  I should try to use it more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I took my A4 box  with me on a small vacation.  Worked well for in room cooking due to restaurant status unknowns at destination.   It's light and compact.

You may have given me the excuse I need to buy one of these things. ;) 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...

I just seared off a whole bunch of home-cured back bacon slices on the patio on the A4, THEN I used the leftover fat/juices to sear/steam a whole bunch of brussels sprouts along with a glug or 2 of balsamic.   It was about 100F air temp, but at least the house didn't smell like brussels sprouts.  Worth the temporary discomfort and the A4 did a nice job on both ingredients.

• Like 2