• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A4 Box Induction Cooker

Kerry Beal

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

does the box broil ?

Nope. The broiling took place in the Cuisinart steam oven.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nope. The broiling took place in the Cuisinart steam oven.

Directly on the pan from the A4? Pretty handy, if so!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Directly on the pan from the A4? Pretty handy, if so!

I bet I could’ve done that but I didn’t. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Does the A4's griddle pan fit in the CSO?

Almost but not quite.   At first I believed it was fitting  Then closer examination shows that it is hung up on the tracks for the shelf. I tried using it as a shelf but again it is just a tad too short so that it is unsafe and will not remain in place.  So the final answer is no it will not fit. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2CD8FB52-C082-4A25-ABAE-1C1DDFC7211C.thumb.jpeg.10c6dc589d6b0845122597384fc7c1f4.jpeg

Not going to apologize. It’s my toy. It’s my morning. And it’s my breakfast.😂  I wanted to fry an egg in one of the hollows of this plate. But I also wanted to fry up some pepperoni. The ideal configuration is not available – – that would be one or two  hollows/cups and the remainder a flat griddle.  But I wasn’t prepared to dirty another pan just for a few slices of pepperoni. So in they went. 

7F76E3AC-B2E1-4E83-A941-7C7F3B670D70.thumb.jpeg.5c2275de0c47bbc2da563f526b6fc135.jpeg

Egg and pepperoni onigirazu.  As I suspected, the perfect sized egg to fit my rice sandwich.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 5

My 2004 eG Blog

This little gizmo is providing me a great deal of vicarious fun. It makes me wish we had a "Whee!" icon. :D I'm so glad you're playing with and posting about it!

• Like 5

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

This little gizmo is providing me a great deal of vicarious fun. It makes me wish we had a "Whee!" icon. :D I'm so glad you're playing with and posting about it!

Thanks. Sometimes I think I’m just talking to the wind so it’s nice to know I’m amusing somebody!  

Edited to add

I am looking at, studying and weighing up recipes/methods for making takoyaki although it won’t be tako because I’m not going to find any octopus around here but there’s a very legitimate ebiyaki (shrimp) I understand. But I admit to being quite intimidated by the whole procedure. Pumping up my courage. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

and Mortadella

USA , not italian

Italian has pistachios in it

" God's Bologna [ USA vs ] ""

I do like mortadella although I’ve never had the Italian kind.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Fried lebanon bologna (not the sweet kind) is great too.

I really tried to like Lebanon bologna when we were down in Lancaster but I just can’t do it. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. Sometimes I think I’m just talking to the wind so it’s nice to know I’m amusing somebody!  

Edited to add

I am looking at, studying and weighing up recipes/methods for making takoyaki although it won’t be tako because I’m not going to find any octopus around here but there’s a very legitimate ebiyaki (shrimp) I understand. But I admit to being quite intimidated by the whole procedure. Pumping up my courage. 

Not talking to the wind. I'm really enjoying you checking out all cooking options on the box. Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I've never had proper Lebanon bologna. The stuff I've had from grocery delis (all west of the Mississippi, I might add) has left me cold: not nasty, but too...too...garlicky? Bland? I don't know. What defines Lebanon bologna?

As to the shrimp vs. octopus **yaki I am utterly ignorant of it all, and glad to see/read anything you care to share about it. I don't even know what the -yaki means; I know it from sukiyaki (sp?) and that clearly shows how little I know.

No, you definitely aren't talking to the wind! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Did you get the sweet stuff? Foul. The regular LB is great stuff. 

Tried both. Just don’t get it. But then I don’t get caviar, foie gras, or truffles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

. I don't even know what the -yaki means; I know it from sukiyaki (sp?) and that clearly shows how little I know.

I am no linguist but my understanding is that yaki can mean grilled, roasted or cooked. I have to guess that context makes the difference. I believe @liuzhou is a linguist but that doesn’t mean that he is fluent in Japanese or can translate one language to the other In this case. But there are enough people around that I’m sure somebody will pop in and tell us what yaki means. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast from the box.

FBAFF28E-47B9-4F1C-A343-E1376982CF23.thumb.jpeg.e8a64174c215d4bd648e3fbf3cb95831.jpeg

First some skillet toast.

A20B6271-1FA5-488A-919E-FCD064F332BB.thumb.jpeg.a4b67167f50e3cc2666a78edf47ad9ff.jpeg

Then when it reached an appropriate degree of doneness I turned it over and added some rinsed, canned salad shrimp. 

05EE95E8-8AFF-40BC-BEA2-79B3D92EDC37.thumb.jpeg.7c72dba9e4b8258e6b476123bc37058b.jpeg

Then I turned down the heat (this thing is amazingly responsive, but of course it is induction) and scrambled a duck egg.

382780F4-A7BE-43D1-9DD8-674770E1AA37.thumb.jpeg.b9cfcfb1e2bbd4c0f6113642fb28762f.jpeg

it’s a bit like having a mini flat top.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I believe @liuzhou is a linguist but that doesn’t mean that he is fluent in Japanese or can translate one language to the other In this case.

I'm certainly nowhere near fluent in Japanese, but...

Yaki means "fried". Well, I understand it means "cooked", but usually only applied to frying.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto