• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A4 Box Induction Cooker

Kerry Beal

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Update thought.  Whenever I see offers with the "only so many minutes" clock I experience scepticism as to why they're trying to panic you into a decision. 

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

i also don't understand theses clocks

at 00:00:00

it all vanishes ?

Nah, it's a big fat lie.  

Five hours ago it said I only had 23 minutes to get the deal.

Clicked on it just now.  Still says I only have 23 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Shelby said:

Nah, it's a big fat lie.  

Five hours ago it said I only had 23 minutes to get the deal.

Clicked on it just now.  Still says I only have 23 minutes.

Damn Shelby you’ve made time stands still!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, KennethT said:

People say I have that give when I'm talking in detail about things I'm interested in...

I have the gift of making grown men cry - usually with liquid nitrogen in my hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Since one member had asked about the brand of transformer I use for powering European appliances, I thought the information might be of help to someone else...like, oh, say, @Shelby.

LiteFuze LT Series 2000 Watt Heavy Duty Voltage Converter - Step Up/Down 110/120/220/240V 

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have the gift of making grown men cry - usually with liquid nitrogen in my hand!

Thought you were going to say hook extractor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I've had 2 George Foreman. I found them to be a pain to clean. I don't recall any temperature control on the ones I had.

My only thought was that it would provide a  way to cook outside when use of fire was banned because of fire hazard.  Of course I'm still a ways away from getting our travel trailer so at the moment it's just a curiosity. 

FWIW in our experience the "no fire" restriction has applied to wood fires. It has not applied to charcoal in a portable grill. It also has not applied to gas-fired campstoves like the Coleman's that you and I both have.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of another toy, you understand, but you may appreciate full information.  :D

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

FWIW in our experience the "no fire" restriction has applied to wood fires. It has not applied to charcoal in a portable grill. It also has not applied to gas-fired campstoves like the Coleman's that you and I both have.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of another toy, you understand, but you may appreciate full information.  :D

On the other hand, our fire marshal forbids gas or charcoal grills.  Probably hadn't thought of banning bonfires.

That IS a cute-looking gizmo. If I hadn't already made a new-kitchen-toy purchase, I'd be tempted. 

Edited by Smithy
Corrected spelling: "purchase" rather than "purpose". Durned autocomplete... (log)
  • Like 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

After posting I remembered that we have a perfectly fine deep electric skillet that would do just fine.  I expect to carry some seldom-needed stuff in the camper shell so it wouldn't take up valuable storage space in the trailer. 

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

Well all ye naysayers.... @Kerry Bealsort of took one for the team as you asked her to but it’s now occupying space in my kitchen!  It was purchased while we were up in Manitoulin in July and shipped to a Buffalo address and only now was Kerry able to get down there to retrieve it.   For me it is like Christmas in September.

43557543-BF71-4373-9700-2ED5FC25B197.thumb.jpeg.7851e1c32789d34025ed2c022ae5a481.jpeg

Here it is with all five  interchangeable cooking surfaces:  plain grill pan, takoyaki pan,  wavy grill pan,  ceramic deep pan and six disc pan. For those who think that the only thing you can make in a takoyaki pan are takoyaki there’s a whole book devoted to things that you can make that are not octopus-based.  Look up The Little Book of Takoyaki on Amazon. 

Also included in the package is something called a shovel which is basically a silicone spoonula,  tiny fingertip protectors, a tablespoon and a teaspoon measure which click together, and the most intriguing of all:  

53A3F3DC-795F-49B7-8B5A-239B7700E3AA.thumb.jpeg.f30d0efc59695dd0ef414a9a04367460.jpeg

A number of these resealable plastic bags. I am a verbal person not a visual person so I am still struggling to interpret what they are intended for. My first instinct of course was to assume they were used for sous vide.   Nothing in the instruction manual nor anywhere in their advertising material do I find any reference to these.   Marinade bags maybe?  That’s my best guess.

Here is the website for the manufacturer:

Click.  

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, this will be fun!

@Shelby speaks for me...word for word...! xD

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

@Anna N Looks like a marinade bag to me...

Me too and I would’ve left it at that but it seems to be almost a recipe.  If you look very closely in the upper right hand Square there is a notation of 30 min. In the next square there is a notation of 4 min. So I am wondering if it is actually the recipe with most of it written in Japanese?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'M JEALOUS

And excited!  

And, damn it, I had managed to forget about this toy.  Now it's back in my head.

But you would have to settle for white and you said you wouldn’t do that.

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Whew, I'm safe! Price is back up to $249. Even with free shipping that's enough to remove temptation...but I'll be following this topic with interest. 🙂

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Whew, I'm safe! Price is back up to $249. Even with free shipping that's enough to remove temptation...but I'll be following this topic with interest. 🙂

Oh the pressure, the pressure!  

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog