• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Again, wandering around JC

glenn

First we went to Pesto's as we were in the mood for Italian. But the 12 tables or so were taken. In all the times I've eaten there I've never seen a host/ess let alone anyone resembling a manager. We stood there like dummies for a few minutes to find out how long the wait was, no one came up to us, so we left. We then went to check to see if 95 Greene St., (Jersey City) was open yet. I went up the stairs and peered at the sign which said it was open for lunch and to be open for dinner in February. But I gotta say, it hardly looked impressive. I'm really bewildered by the lack of imagination and mediocre places in JC. Were those vinyl table cloths on the tables?? Rosie, did you get a menu with your press release?

It's right next door to the Iron Monkey, so we ate there. It's been a couple of months since we've been there. I never found the food more than average, and kind of on the expensive side all things considered, but last night was a pleasant surprise. The place was crowded, something I rarely see there. The soup was ok, but it was the entrees that gave me some hope that Jersey City wasn't completely for the shits. I had the fish special, filet of sole stuffed with scallops. It was cooked perfectly and presented beautifully. Anabelle had the seafood chippino which consisted of lobster, jumbo shrimp, little neck clams, mussels and whitefish. Again, beautiful presentation and delicious. The service has always been good, and last night was no exception. Our server was new but his knowledge of the menu was quite impressive. Still, not a place to travel to, but it's getting there.

There's an article in the NJ section of the Sunday Times which mentions the lack of restaurants in JC. The context is "82,000 investment jobs have moved to JC and the restaurant space / quality is woefully lacking."

The big story is people trading their downtown job / 1BRw/DR UES home for an office in JC, 3500 sf home in Chester.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Glenn--Honey---Please be patient. There will be an article about 95 Greene on Table Hopping With Rosie 1/29. There's alot happening in Jersey City these days and many restaurants are opening up. This is an incomplete list of JC restaurants. If you know of any more let me know.

Brazilian Grill 116 Franklin St.

Café Brand World Bistro 611 Jersey Ave.

Cafe Garcia 332 2nd Ave J

Cafe Newport 500 Washington Blvd.

Casa Dante 737 Newark Ave.

Casablanca Grove St.

Chow Patty 809 Newark Ave.

Chris’s Grill West Side Ave

Cosimo’s Brick Oven 30 Mall Drive West

C-side,Harborside Financial Center, Atrium Level, 34 Exchange Place

Dong Won 774 West Side Ave

Family Tree 150 West Side Ave.

15 Fox, 15 Fox Place

Grand Banks Cafe, 75 Montgomery St,

Hard Grove Cafe 319 Grove St.

Ilvento’s West Side Ave.

Iron Monkey York and Green Streets

Just Sonny’s 169 Sterling Ave.

Laico’s 67 Terhune Ave.

Liberty Grille 499 Washington Blvd.

Liberty House 76 Audrey Zapp Dr

Madame Claude 364 1/2 Fourth St

Marco and Pepe, 289 Grove St,

Markers Harborside

Nicco’s 247 Wington St.

95 Greene, 95 Greene St

Pho Thanh Hoai 247-249 Newark Ave.

Presto’s 199 Warren Street

Pronto Cena 87 Sussex Street

Puccini’s 1064 West Side Ave.

Rita & Joes 142 Broadway

Subito 131 Erie St

Tania's Restaurant 348 Grove Street

The Lighthorse Tavern, 199 Washington St.

The Point at Port Liberte, 2 Chapel Ave,

The Vu, , 2 Exchange Pl, Hyatt Regency

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Due to poor business practices and no response from management, PLEASE don't patronize The Liberty House (NOT to be confused with the Liberty Grille... don't want to bash the wrong place)!

We had a problem with them on the catering side and our calls to upper management were ignored and went unreturned.

Edited by thereuare (log)

Due to poor business practices and no response from management, PLEASE don't patronize The Liberty House (NOT to be confused with the Liberty Grille... don't want to bash the wrong place)!

We had a problem with them on the catering side and our calls to upper management were ignored and went unreturned.

Sorry to hear that. That's the place in Liberty State Park, down by the CNJ station?

Dee and I had dinner on their outdoor deck in September. Warm breeze, view of the new Goldman Sachs building and the sailboats moored in the Morris Canal Basin. Small jazz group playing live background music.

It was all very nice, but the place was almost completely empty. That's often a danger sign.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Glenn--Honey---

Now you're sounding like a JC waitress!

And take that dang 95 Greene St. off your list already until they friggin' open. I'm tired of making journeys there and Anabelle getting car sick, all for nothing.

And I probably stick to JC cuz practically anywhere else you need to make a reservation at least a few hours in advance. Hmmm, there might be a relationship between the quality of food and having to make a reservation at 8 PM on Sat. night. :wacko:

Btw, I did overlook an excellent diner in JC which goes back to the Paleozoic era, the Flamingo. You must know it, Rosie :)). I hear they're closing cuz the city is using their right of eminent domain or something like that.

• 2 months later...
Btw, I did overlook an excellent diner in JC which goes back to the Paleozoic era, the Flamingo.  You must know it, Rosie :)).  I hear they're closing cuz the city is using their right of eminent domain or something like that.

Good news. For me, anyway. The Flamingo got a reprieve, it was on the 6:00 news tonight. Our esteemed mayor caved in to the pressure and said something like the Goldman Sachs employees don't live in his zip code anyway.

You can't beat the mousaka. Well, at least for the price. And the club sandwich is dreamy. And of course, the ambience of an ancient diner and a friendly staff that looks like they've been working there since it opened.

It's all about Hudson County this week, those fools :). I'm happy to see Marco & Pepe get a review, and a "very good" at that. I wonder if that means the service will be worse than ever, hmmm. And Dom's in Hoboken, another favorite. Good stuff.

We went to the Iron Monkey thinking Marco & Pepe's would be crowded. Walked right out after looking at the menu. Jeez, if only I had a lamb shank for every JC restaurant I've walked out on. I was astounded by the menu prices. Same ol'f friggin' menu except the prices went up substantially. There were 2 entrees for $29 ($28.95 to be exact, fucking morons), and nothing less than $22. Appetizers were up to $15. No familiar faces. Out the door and never to return. I mean it this time! They are now the most expensive restaurant in JC after overrated and over the hill Casa Dante.

We took our chances on Marco & Pepe and lucked out. A table was waiting for us. I was tempted to try the burger based on Corcoran's review (which is only on the bar menu that you have to ask for), but I overcame my baser instincts and got the bass, while Anabelle had the shell steak. My dish was $20 and the shell steak was $25, VERY REASONABLE. We shared a wonderful bouchard goat cheese salad for the appetizer. Everything was amazing, including the service.... a big change, very professional and good timing. Fantastic wine and beer list. JC now has a destination restaurant.

We went to the Iron Monkey ...I was astounded by the menu prices.  Same ol'f friggin' menu except the prices went up substantially.  There were 2 entrees for $29 ($28.95 to be exact, fucking morons), and nothing less than $22.  Appetizers were up to $15.

Somebody's gotta pay for all that advertising they've done.... might as well be the people that already eat there :raz:

Awful, here's what I said a couple of weeks ago....

After previously having a not so great experience at the 1-month-old 95 Greene, I figured they deserved another chance. And it was only a few blocks from Presto’s. Talk about different realities!! 8:15 PM, Saturday night, and there were 2 people at the bar and ZERO dining customers! And it was nice and cool, a refreshing change. The two of us sat down at a 4-top by the window. The menu was completely boring even though the prices seemed to demand more imagination. The one and only interesting item was an appetizer, which frankly, sounded gross. Pastrami dumpling!! But I tell ya, with the sauce, it worked, we loved it. The entrees were piss-poor. The sauce for our dishes, pork and halibut, tasted like it came from a can. The pork was a crummy cut, or was spoiled. Service was good (whattaya expect, staff outnumbered customers by 4 to 1!), up until dessert. 5 minutes after sharing a flourless chocolate cake that was left in the microwave too long, I was told they had a problem with the espresso machine and it would be a few minutes longer. No thanks. I was offered a free coffee, but passed.

I should also add that I responded erroneously to Rosie's question if Presto's is byo... they are. I always get Presto's and Pronto Cena's mixed up, which is not byo, but very similar in many other respects, most importantly, they're both snooty and have horrible service.

Having eaten quite a few meals at 95 greene i must say glenn does have a problem getting his facts straight-there is no halibut on the menu and it is a pastrami spring roll not a dumpling. Big difference. It must have been the flamingo(locally referred to as the "dirty bird") where he thought he had halibut. Referring to 95 greene as awful is a singular view. The Jersey Journal in an unsolicited review said it was "an address to remember" and complimented the food, decor and service. New restaurants in a rough economy, bad winter and a war have a hard enough time making it without some armchair, non-professional, chronically complaining, self appointed critic spreading his angst about never finding a good enough meal or restaurant.

So with your report and David Corcoran's terrific review, this place sounds like a real find!! (Marco & Pepe).  Are the 2 dogs anywhere to be found?

Never saw them. Could be a health hazard?

Having eaten quite a few meals at 95 greene i must say glenn does have a problem getting his facts straight-there is no halibut on the menu and it is a pastrami spring roll not a dumpling. Big difference.  It must have been the flamingo(locally referred to as the "dirty bird") where he thought he had halibut.  Referring to 95 greene as awful is a singular view.  The Jersey Journal in an unsolicited review said it was "an address to remember" and complimented the food, decor and service.  New restaurants in a rough economy, bad winter and a war have a hard enough time making it without some armchair, non-professional, chronically complaining, self appointed critic spreading his angst about never finding a good enough meal or restaurant.

I smell a rat. But I ain't gonna bite.

MACKEY--Thank you for your post and welcome to eGullet. Please be sure to tell us about other restaurants that you have dined at.

I don't have the menu for 95 Greene. However, Glenn works in the restaurant industry and knows his food. Since Chef Billy Woods of 95 Greene, formerly of Ruby Foo's, NYC and Theater Square Grill, Newark has some background in Asian cuisine it is possible that the foods that Glenn described were served as a special when he dined at 95 Greene. If you are the chef or work the line there then please except my apology.

Food Forums are for everyone's opinion. It's OK to disagree with someone's opinion about a restaurant and you should certainly post your own opinion. Name calling is not encouraged though.

Again welcome and do tell us about the places you like. And do tell us what you like at 95 Greene. I haven't been there but will certainly try to get there ASAP.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE