• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Men and Women at Carry Outs

We eat half our meals at home and half at restaurants.  We also do carry-out once a week.   

And here's what we've noticed:  At the BBQ place in FL and at the rotis chicken stand near our Mexican home, when he goes, he comes home with more food than when I go for the same food.  The chicken and ribs are portioned out (we always get a whole bird and a whole rack), but at the MXN chicken place he literally gets twice the number of baby potatoes (swimming in chicken fat) than I get; and at the Florida BBQ place he gets twice the number of their homemade BBQ sauce containers (8 versus 4).  For all the years we've been going to these places, the counter staff has always been young women.  

In case you're wondering; I'm not a shrew and he's not a schmoozer.  We tip the same.  Anyone else ever notice this?     

This, what @Orbit suggested. I don’t do take out, but I observe people in my office, and the biggest man gets the most extra condiment packs thrown in with his order. 

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Ed is always the one to pick up the food truck orders.  He may be an old man, but he's darned good-looking and it never hurts.  And he's still a flirt all these years later.  :laugh:

• Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I haven't noticed getting more but when I went to the local Chinese restaurant and ordered Szechuan noodles extra spicy they were always much more spicy than when my wife went there and ordered them to bring home for me. I thought maybe it was the way we worded the order but she always said she told them the same thing I did... you can't make them too spicy*. 

*I realize that can be a dangerous challenge to issue but I know the local restaurants and what they work with so it was a safe thing to say in this case. :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.