• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks reimagined as food

EvergreenDan

Sundae Night in Manhattan

Find ripe stone fruit of your choice. I used nectarines. Blanch and peel if needed/desired. Cut into wedges. Warm an ample amount of bourbon (I used about 12 oz for 6 nectarines), ignite, and let it burn out. Be prepared for very tall flames. This will reduce the volume to less than half. If the fruit isn't super flavorful and sweet, add some appropriate jam. I used peach. Pour over fruit and macerate. I added some full-strength bourbon to add some alcohol bite and a bit more bourbon flavor. Refrigerate. If using fruit that discolors (e.g. peaches), you'll probably want to add lemon and more jam. You want the fruit slightly tart because the other components are sweet.

In a separate pan, reduce about a cup of your favorite sweet vermouth until it coats the back of a spoon. I used Carpano Antica. Cool to room temp.

Serve fruit topped with vanilla ice cream and a small drizzle of vermouth syrup. I didn't add bitters, but some drops of Angostura would have been nice too. The syrup is quite bitter and sweet on its own, but it's fabulous on the fruit.

I didn't think to garnish with a Luxardo or bourbon cherry, but that would have been a nice touch. Definitely making this again.

• Like 5

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 1:29 PM, eugenep said:

I wonder how this looks like - picture wise 

I was going to say that it might look something like this, if you can imagine the fresh figs I used are nectarines. 

IMG_1197.thumb.jpg.111c0e1f99f2043426c00a722902c149.jpg

Then I realized that I put the fruit on top of the ice cream instead of the other way around, so you'll have to imagine that as well 🙃   

I used fig butter for the jam and added lemon juice and the extra bourbon.  I tasted them after a couple of hours in the fridge and they definitely tasted better after sitting overnight.  I preferred the fig/bourbon mixture slightly warmed rather than straight from the fridge, which contributes to the melty-ness of my photo.  It was still delicious!

1 hour ago, eugenep said:

@blue_dolphin

that looks good. thanks for the photo

It looks too laborious for me but I did wonder if it's worth the work 

It wasn't really too much effort and such a fun idea to translate a cocktail into an ice cream sundae.  I was especially intrigued by the Carpano Antica syrup and was going to just put that over some figs and ice cream but decided I might as well go ahead and flame up some bourbon for that part, too.  

• Like 1

Many of you will know that the Official Canadian Cocktail is the (Bloody) Caesar, a first cousin to the Bloody Mary except made with clamato juice.

At my restaurant I used to make a "Caesar Caesar," which used a heavily reduced Caesar (cocktail) as the base for a modified caesar (salad) dressing. It was pink, of course, and added some different flavor notes to the traditional garlic, anchovy and parm, but still hewed close enough to the original to not be completely out of left field. Of course we had to explain the joke on the menu, since most of our clientele were tourists from elsewhere.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, chromedome said:

Many of you will know that the Official Canadian Cocktail is the (Bloody) Caesar

And people even seem to be proud of that fact for some reason. Somebody looked at a nasty-arsed Bloody Mary and thought "I should add some clam juice, that'll improve the situation!" Guess it could've been worse... they could've had the juice from a can of salmon they just drained sitting there needing a purpose. I like the Caesar Caesar joke though. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

49 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

And people even seem to be proud of that fact for some reason. Somebody looked at a nasty-arsed Bloody Mary and thought "I should add some clam juice, that'll improve the situation!" Guess it could've been worse... they could've had the juice from a can of salmon they just drained sitting there needing a purpose. I like the Caesar Caesar joke though. :D

There was actually an earlier cocktail called the Clam Digger which was basically the same thing, except you had to combine the clam juice and tomato juice for yourself in those days.

Not my idea of a good time, either way.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning