• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swarvin' in Newfoundland!

ElsieD

22 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Yep, but, ya know, while I’m there may as well have a good look around. I’d probably allow two months for a trip to Canada, surely I could squeeze Newfie in ?

Don't forget northern Minnesota!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, sartoric said:

Yep, but, ya know, while I’m there may as well have a good look around. I’d probably allow two months for a trip to Canada, surely I could squeeze Newfie in ?

Two months would suffice for Atlantic Canada. The rest doesn't really matter. :P

(ducks, runs...)

• Haha 11

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'd say should you ever come to Canada, Newfoundland is one place you would not want to miss.  And Ottawa, where I live.  I'd be more than happy to show you around.

Same for Vancouver Island! 😄

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, chromedome said:

Most of you will never have been to Medicine Hat, so for context...there's the bulk of the town itself, and a cluster of gas stations and suchlike, then you descend into a steep river valley. When you come up the other side there is (or was, at that time) a small patch of light industrial (welding services, body shops and such) and residential, but no place to warm up, grab a soup or coffee, that sort of thing.

Ha, I've been there, and pretty close to that time, also! I spent a couple months in Redcliff (just north-ish of The Hat) back when I was in my late teens. I was staying with a close friend and her family who had just moved there. I remember driving up and down that river valley area on the highway between the two communities - many, many times! 

Also, mentioning Great Big Sea, we stopped to visit Alan Doyle's hometown (Petty Harbour, Newfoundland) the last time we were out that way. It was a misty summer morning. 

IMG_3169.thumb.jpg.b2316b34352e6ce65d3c0fbd0056767c.jpg

IMGP2731.thumb.jpg.9501f55bbbe29ee7ad20d44501fce3de.jpg

I loved these cod and puffin chairs! 

IMGP2744.thumb.jpg.91aef0d70fd7b16c6a2eacacff96e95b.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I just received the detailed menu descriptions and we're off with the first course.  I have posted a picture of the wine we had underneath the picture of the food.  

The first course was a hand torn diver scallop tossed in basil oil, and garnished with compressed cucumber and cucumber foam.  Delicious, as was the wine.

20190804_183057.jpg

20190804_184130.jpg

• Like 9

The fourth tasting was Newfoundlsnd cod, pan seared on the skin, broccoli, onion petal and sea urchin butter.  The broccoli florets are under the onions.

Tablet battery just died.  More in a bit.

20190804_191256.jpg

20190804_191756.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
I had posted the wrong picture. (log)
  • Like 12

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

20190804_184250.jpg

Benjamin Bridge is located in Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley. Best known for its sparkling wines, which are on the wine lists of a few Michelin-starred restaurants.

Unfortunately they're one of the very few wineries here on the East Coast without a tasting room or scheduled tours.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The fourth tasting was Newfoundlsnd cod, pan seared on the skin, broccoli, onion petal and sea urchin butter.  The broccoli florets are under the onions.

Tablet battery just died.  More in a bit.

20190804_191256.jpg

20190804_191756.jpg

Hi Elsie, it all sounds wonderful. I was wondering if you could describe the onion petal for me.

Number 5 was a black feather heritage chicken, rolled with wild leek puree, roasted chanterelles, wild leek and chanterelle reduction topped with crispy chicken skin.  Yum.

20190804_194303.jpg

20190804_193956.jpg

• Like 9

And lastly, a dessert described as streusel ice cream, strawberries, poached rhubarb in blackcurrant leaf kombucha.  I just discovered that neither one of us took a picture of the dessert although the wine was not forgotten.  I have asked for a picture and if I get it I'll post it here.

Edited to add:  the dessert has already been changed so unfortunately there is no picture.

20190804_202153.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, chromedome said:

Benjamin Bridge is located in Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley. Best known for its sparkling wines, which are on the wine lists of a few Michelin-starred restaurants.

Unfortunately they're one of the very few wineries here on the East Coast without a tasting room or scheduled tours.

That wine was fantastic.  

Just now, demiglace said:

Hi Elsie, it all sounds wonderful. I was wondering if you could describe the onion petal for me.

I don't know why they called it a petal.  It had been cooked, possibly in chicken stock,  to an al dente texture.  I guess they wanted that texture so the broccoli spears would fit under it without the onion collapsing.  That's guessing on my part.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't know why they called it a petal.  It had been cooked, possibly in chicken stock,  to an al dente texture.  I guess they wanted that texture so the broccoli spears would fit under it without the onion collapsing.  That's guessing on my part.

Oh ok. so that's the green colour I'm seeing. Thanks.

• Like 1

We finished with cappuccino and they brought us these little squares that reminded me of strawberry infused marshmallows.  I would rather have had the cookies we had last time.

20190804_205352.jpg

20190804_205320.jpg

• Like 6