• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swarvin' in Newfoundland!

ElsieD

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

thank you for not managing a picture.

I am a bit sorry that on your plate there

did not add Crispy Scapple.  a tranche or two

but it sounded pretty tasty to me !

You were too quick.  I had to add the pictures as I was having trouble loading them.

• Thanks 1

After lunch, we drove down highway 10 to a little place called Calvert.  This is about an hour out of St. John's.  There we were entertained by a "kitchen party".  Basically, there were 2 musicians there, one played a squeeze box, the other a guitar and for two hours they sang Newfoundland songs.  All were encouraged to join in but most of us stuck to the chorus as we didn't know the words.  Fun time, though.

Then back to St. John's for dinner which was at Saltwater.  John had the seafood risotto and his plate arrived with said risotto, mussels, shrimp, salmon and cod with a basil pesto.  I had the cod again.  My fish was again a tad overcooked.  They packaged me up a free dessert as compensation.  It's cheesecake with partridgeberry sauce and I won't have any trouble eating that.  My experience has been that if the fish is fresh they tell you and if it's been frozen they tell you.  If I am in Newfoundland I do not want to eat frozen fish, as I can do that at home.  Saltwater is a fairly high end place and while they didn't tell me the state of the fish, I expected fresh.  It was frozen.  Lesson learned.  If they don't tell, ask.

Tomorrow we are going to Raymond's for dinner.  We were there a couple of years ago and are looking forward to it.  Then, Monday we go home.

20190803_190520.jpg

20190803_190539.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Down here they call them "loggers' breakfast" or "lumberjack's plate" or some such. It's a LOT of food...appropriate for someone doing as much physical labor as the name suggests, but not appropriate for most of us. Fun to look at and sample, but not worth shoveling down past the comfort point. You did your best. :rolleyes::blink::)

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822ccToday we had lunch at the Merchant Tavern.  I had the Newfoundland breakfast while John had the pancakes.  A big plate was dropped off in front me and my jaw just about hit the table.  I was staring at eggs, a fish cake, a touton, a sausage, baked beans and potatoes.  The eggs, sausage, and some of the potatoes were shifted to John's plate.  We managed all but most of the potatoes and some of the pancakes. 

P_20190803_122232_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Yeah, that's about right. At my home it would have been bacon instead of sausage (my dad wasn't keen on sausage) and homemade bread instead of toutons (because you can make a week's worth of bread at once, but toutons need to be fresh) and there would be maybe three fishcakes per plate and a lot more beans. Also a big pot of tea. This was at 4AM, mind you, before going down to the boat and going out to pull nets.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We had brunch at.The Duke of Duckworth.  I had the toutons which came with.sausage and home fries.  John had the Nor'Easter which is a sandwich where toutons replace the bread and included fried bologna, fried red onion, egg, cheese,mustard,.lettuce and tomatoes.  It came with hash browns and sausage.  We now need to walk off some of this food.😁

P_20190804_123307_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190804_123242_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

I SO want fish cakes with schrunchions …. and tartar sauce with Cholula chile lime.

Reminds me of when I would visit my mom and she would make a "breakfast" of flounder, bacon, boiled potatoes and lima beans.   29 years and I miss her like crazy.  Sorry...all

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night we had the tasting menu at Raymond's along with the wine flight.  They have discontinued the practice of giving diners a copy of the printed menu and I can't remember the descriptions of the courses.  I did take note of the wines that were served and it annoys me to not have the course descriptions.  They said they would mail me a copy but now that we are back at home I have written to them to ask that they email me this information.  I will then post it here.

We are home after an uneventful flight home.  Nothing much was served on the plane except for cookies, chips and soft drinks.  My last post will follow once I get the info.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Yes, thank you so much. I really enjoyed the vacation and all the great photos. Newfoundland is one place I regret not visiting when I lived back east. I think the really long ferry ride put me off. Oh well I'll live vicariously through others visits. Thanks again.

• Like 2

Thank you so much.  I adore your trips to one of the best places on earth that you and a dear friend (whose family still live just north of Saint John's to this day} introduced me to.

Maybe one day our path's may cross in the Irish Loop.....😘

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

21 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Thank you so much.  I adore your trips to one of the best places on earth that you and a dear friend (whose family still live just north of Saint John's to this day} introduced me to.

Maybe one day our path's may cross in the Irish Loop.....😘

The kitchen party we went to was on the Irish Loop.  Stunning scenery, lovely people.  There were about 25 of us there, people from Dawson Creek, Quebec City, some from Newfoundland itself.  Oh, also from Edmonton and a few other spots I can't remember.  If our paths should ever cross, the Irish Loop would be a fine place and so would Bonavista. Here is a picture of the scene from the front of the salt box house where the party was held.  BTW, I found out about this place from the material you sent to me, so thank you!

21 hours ago, suzilightning said:

20190803_160408.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ha, ha Newfoundland to British Columbia Vancouver Island is only 7300 Kms

11,800 Brisbane to Victoria.  

Yep, but, ya know, while I’m there may as well have a good look around. I’d probably allow two months for a trip to Canada, surely I could squeeze Newfie in ?

• Like 5