• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swarvin' in Newfoundland!

ElsieD

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Funny about the pronunciation of 'toutons'.  I automatically gave them a French flair...too- tons ...and was surprised to hear them called ..well, I don't know how to designate the sound in simple letters, but it rhymes with how and cow.  Sound delicious.  But then you can't lose with fried dough...

At least in my family and where I lived, it's pronounced like "totem." But with an 'n' instead of an 'm'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, toutons are really, really good.  They are served hot out of the frying pan and I practically swoon when my plate arrives.  They are typically served with molasses but most places will ask if you would rather have syrup or jam.   I wish we could get them in Ontario.

But you could make them.  

I love those funnel cakes you get from food trucks at fairs in the USA.  (Should not admit that in this august company.)  And so I made them at home and had great fun doing it.  

Also fry bread.  Yum.  We always buy it at a fair grounds in Shiprock, NM.  Love it.  

They are all basically the same thing.  Fried dough.  Love it.  

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

8 minutes ago, Darienne said:

But you could make them.  

I love those funnel cakes you get from food trucks at fairs in the USA.  (Should not admit that in this august company.)  And so I made them at home and had great fun doing it.  

Also fry bread.  Yum.  We always buy it at a fair grounds in Shiprock, NM.  Love it.  

They are all basically the same thing.  Fried dough.  Love it.  

Amen to that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is a catfish place here, with a drive-up window no less, that has funnel cakes. I will occasionally go just for the funnel cake, although their catfish is good, too.

And I very nearly killed myself on frybread in a little restaurant on the corner of the square in Old Santa Fe. They served it with honey. I was an abject pig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We skipped breakfast today and instead lazed around this morning working on the NYT spelling bee.  We just finished lunch, and once again fish was featured.  We were told the fish was fresh so I had pan fried cod with salad and John had the fish and chips.  My fish was perfectly cooked, nice and moist.  John said his was as well.  Fish and chips don't make for a pretty plate but then taste trumps presentation.

We are off to Bell Island which involves a ferry crossing.  There is some interesting  history there. 

Picture of lunch below.  There is also a picture of a set of stairs.  These are fairly common is St. John's, they run between Water street where we are staying and Duckworth street, also a major street.  We took a set of these stairs to get to this pub.  St. John's is very hilly.

20190801_125439.jpg

20190801_123049.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Picture of lunch below.  There is also a picture of a set of stairs.  These are fairly common is St. John's, they run between Water street where we are staying and Duckworth street, also a major street.  We took a set of these stairs to get to this pub.  St. John's is very hilly.

Yup. A perennial challenge to pub-crawling students. Ever walk up Water St. and Duckworth St, counting the pubs? Only a student, and a very young one at that, could even dream of drinking a beer in each one in a single marathon session (even three or four nights would be seriously pushing it).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

We skipped breakfast today and instead lazed around this morning working on the NYT spelling bee.  We just finished lunch, and once again fish was featured.  We were told the fish was fresh so I had pan fried cod with salad and John had the fish and chips.  My fish was perfectly cooked, nice and moist.  John said his was as well.  Fish and chips don't make for a pretty plate but then taste trumps presentation.

Fish and chips, especially cod, are my very favorite eating out dish (except when we are in the Southwest and then it's Chile Rellenos).  Taste trumps presentation every time for me. 

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Yup. A perennial challenge to pub-crawling students. Ever walk up Water St. and Duckworth St, counting the pubs? Only a student, and a very young one at that, could even dream of drinking a beer in each one in a single marathon session (even three or four nights would be seriously pushing it).

I prefer George Street.  It's mentioned in a couple of my favorite drinking songs.

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

On our walk last light we passed I don't know how many pubs.   The windows to them were open   and the smokers were all standing outside so they were hard to miss.  A rough guess would be 3 per block, minimum.  The place we had lunch at today is also a pub, The Duke of Duckworth.  The series Republic of Doyle had a replica of the bar built on their set which led us to the place to start with.  It seems the cast often came in to the real pub after shooting the show and the main actor, Alan Hawco still drops in from time to time

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I prefer George Street.  It's mentioned in a couple of my favorite drinking songs.

Gonna take a wild guess that those might include "Old Black Rum" by Great Big Sea?

• Like 1

We went to Bell Island this afternoon and managed to find the only road that turned into gravel, barely wide enough for our van, heavy underbrush beside us such that it was brushing the car as we were crawling along, trying to avoid the potholes, and nowhere to turn around.  That road ended but there off to the right was a lane that ran past a farmhouse so we took it.  Had to shoo a lamb off the road but it did lead us back to pavement.  The whole time I was wondering if there were moose on the island and what we would do if we saw one.  

As an aside, I have never been called "my darling" and "my love"  so much in my life.  I hear people calling each other that all the time so it is just a manner of speaking.   Didn't take long to get used to it.

A couple of pictures - one taken at the lighthouse overlooking the water and the village of Paradise where our ferry left from.  The only food was the ice cream cone we had waiting for the return ferry.

20190801_155409.jpg

20190801_151107.jpg

• Like 13

Dinner was ar the St. John's Fish Exchange.  John had a beer, I had a glass of sauvignon blanc.  We shared two plates, an appetizer of bang bang shrimp that came with an Asian sauce and a seafood platter that came with fries (not shown). The platter had the obvious items along with a salt cod fritter, and a piece each of cod, halibut and salmon.  They had left the side muscle on the scallops which for some strange reason always annoys me and the halibut was overcooked.  Everything else was fine.  I wouldn't rush back but I have had worse.

As we were leaving, and walking past the line-up at the door,  I felt someone grab my arm and if it wasn't the same woman I met in Twillingate who lives in our building.  What are the odds of that, I wonder.

Here are the pics of our meal and the view from the restaurant.  And, especially for @rotuts because he likes these things, a menu of today's specials.

20190801_191343.jpg

P_20190801_194131_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190801_195836_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190801_190758_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190801_192620_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@ElsieD

thank you for the menu.  looks very interesting

Ive always though that the small tough bit on the scallop was the tendon , and the scallop itself the

muscle.   maybe Ive been wrong

Earthquake , the gray Fuzz-Ball you see on the upper L

loved the tendons , if they came w the scallops.  Id peel them off , and give them to him raw

he was beside himself with joy .  took him some time to chew, and he'd sing all the while.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

thank you for the menu.  looks very interesting

Ive always though that the small tough bit on the scalop was the tendon , and the scalp itself the

muscle.   maybe Ive been wrong

Earthquake , the gray Fuzz-Ball you see on the upper L

loved the tendons , if they came w the scallops.  Id peel them off , and give them to him raw

he was beside himself with joy .  took him some time to chew, and he'd sing all the while.

OK....the muscle is the white part folk eat.  If there is a coral colored piece it is the roe/reproductive parts.  When you open scallops you cut the muscle from the top shell, flip the shell back, pull the digestive glands and other "guts" forward and discard; scoop against the bottom shell to pop the muscle free and flip the scallop into the bucket.

You do NOT know how many hours I opened scallops as a kid off the East End of Long Island.  And please, it is NOT scaahlaps   they are scallops

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Today we had a great lunch ar the Hungry Heart Cafe.  We have tried to eat here on previous trips but it has always been full.  This time we took no chances and made a reservation.  It is an initiative of Stella's Circle and aims to train disadvsntaged adults about the food industry so they can get meaningful work.

John had the beef brisket and as I am posting  the menu (for @rotuts and anyone else who may be interested) you can read the details there.  When it first arrived both our thoughts were, wow, that looks overdone but then we remembered that it was brisket.  (Duh!,)   I had the Vietnamese plate.   We finished with coffee and strawberry shortcake.  It was very, very good and I'm happy we were finally able to support this great initiative.  Not to mention having a very tasty lunch.

We wanted to do some shopping afterward and started walking around but it was just too hot so we decided to go back to our lodging.  On the way there, we took a stroll down George Street where there is a street party going on from last night through Saturday.  Lots of music being played, mostly rock.  George street, a short street and party central in St. John's  is almost totally bars and restaurants. @lemniscate too bad you're not here - sounds as though you might enjoy it.

P_20190802_130809_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190802_130855_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190802_133401_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190802_124639_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

24 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Cod Cheeks....oh my, be still my heart!

Slightly surprised that it did not make an appearance!

Fish cheeks of any sort, how I love thee....

Me too.  But, we are going out to a nice spot for dinner and wanted something lighter for lunch.  I thought the pasta dish might have been too filling.  Didn't stop me from having dessert, though.😀  I have learned that when the word fish is used, it means cod.  If it is a fish other than cod, it is called by it's name, e.g. halibut.  I had thought about trying the Coconut Green Curry Cod today but when we sat down the hostess said "the fish didn't come in today" I knew that there would be no cod for me.  Halibut yes, cod no.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Last night for dinner we went to Oliver's a place we had been to last year.  John had the seafood fettuccini in a yellow curry sauce.  The fettuccine had shrimp, salmon, and cod in it and he asked for scallops to be added to the dish.  The make-up of his dish is hard to see under the blanket of grated cheese.   I had the fresh halibut.  John loved his dish, I would have loved mine instead of just liking it if the halibut and not been slightly overcooked.   This place was are staying in is amazing as to how central it is to everything.  We are within a few blocks of all the restaurants we had a hankering to eat at with the exception of one, and it was less than a kilometer away.  Unfortunately it is uphill so we drove.  By the time I fully get my "St. John's legs" I'll be on my way home.

Lunch/brunch today is at the Merchant Tavern.  After that, we are going to the community of Calvert to a kitchen party.  Should be fun.

P_20190802_190857_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190802_190840_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190802_184005_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Duplicate pictures removed (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

P_20190802_184005_vHDR_Auto.jpg

In a quick look at that menu, I thought the first letter was a big swoopy capital cursive L, which would make the restaurant Liver's, and I wondered what all the seafood was doing there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

By the time I fully get my "St. John's legs" I'll be on my way home.

😥

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, suzilightning said:

😥

But how toned you'll be! No need for elevators, eh? 

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Today we had lunch at the Merchant Tavern.  I had the Newfoundland breakfast while John had the pancakes.  A big plate was dropped off in front me and my jaw just about hit the table.  I was staring at eggs, a fish cake, a touton, a sausage, baked beans and potatoes.  The eggs, sausage, and some of the potatoes were shifted to John's plate.  We managed all but most of the potatoes and some of the pancakes.  We finished with lemon madelines and creme anglais.  When we ordered them we were told we would have to wait for them as they bake them to order.  They were perfect.

P_20190803_122232_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190803_122250_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190803_130257_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added pictures (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2