• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swarvin' in Newfoundland!

ElsieD

17 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Alan Hawco is a Newfoundlander, explaining some Newfoundland terms.  He had a show for a number of years called The Republic of Doyle.  We loved that show and were sad when it ended.

He doesn't sound in any way like a Newfoundlander.  Not a bit. 

A dear young friend and her new husband were moving to Newfoundland a number of years ago and we asked them to stop by on their way out of Ontario.  We wondered why on earth they were moving to Newfoundland of all places.  Not that it isn't wonderful...but not all that many Ontarians move there.   One sentence out of the husband and we knew why.  Her husband was a Newfoundlander.   Born and bred in the bone. 

Hope you have a good time there.  We would love to go there. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne  I respectfully disagree about the accent.  This is my sixth visit here and everyone I have spoken to sounds like him.  There are slight regional variations but in the main, they sound like him.

We just got to our hotel and this is what we had on the plane.  The first leg gave us orange juice and cookies, the second water and pretzels.  The cookies were good.

20190729_105802.jpg

20190729_132045.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Spotted in a bakery just now

P_20190729_182522_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Is that Rosie's?  Doesn't look exactly like I remember but we took some Moose Farts with us as we headed to the Irish Loop.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@Darienne  I respectfully disagree about the accent.  This is my sixth visit here and everyone I have spoken to sounds like him.  There are slight regional variations but in the main, they sound like him.

@ElsieD I guess our lad comes from one of the outlying regions.  But he does not sound like Allan Hawco and that's for sure.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

He doesn't sound in any way like a Newfoundlander.  Not a bit. 

Most younger Newfoundlanders, especially urban dwellers, have a relatively mild accent. The RD who consults out of the supermarket where I give cooking lessons is a prime example. She's from St. John's, and only the most practiced of ears would detect a hint of "the Rock" on her speech. In outlying areas, of course, the distinctive local idioms are alive and well.

In the days before radio and television began their homogenizing work, there were hundreds of distinctive regional dialects across the island. Part of longtime premier Joey Smallwood's political appeal was his ability to place anyone by their accent by the time they'd spoken half a sentence. The man had his flaws, God knows, but that finely tuned ear served him well and helped keep him in power for decades. People felt that he really "heard" them in a meaningful way, despite the frequently high-handed and autocratic actions of his government.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Is that Rosie's?  Doesn't look exactly like I remember but we took some Moose Farts with us as we headed to the Irish Loop.

Yes, that is Rosie's.  We ate there tonight, write- up below.

• Like 1

Tonight we ate at a place called Rosie's.  We both had fish and chips, although John had more fish than I did, plus he had dressing and gravy for his fries.  The food was disappointing.  The fish was cod, but it was the thinner piece of the loin and was a bit dry.  The fries were not crispy but at least they weren't greasy.  The cole slaw was good as was the ketchup for the fries (not pictured).  

Tomorrow promises to be a much more interesting day food-wise.

@suzilightning  We dropped in at the Newfoundland Tea Company to check out their teas.  I found it expensive but then I don't often buy flavoured teas.  These were about $18.00 per 100 grams.  Is that a reasonable price?  They had some interesting flavors one of which is blueberry.  Hmm, may have to go back and get some.

P_20190729_185554_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added picture (log)
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

20190729_105802.jpg

I remember flying down to Florida years ago and the flight attendants were passing out these exact cookies.  It was so long ago that I'd never seen Biscoff before and thought the packets were wet wipes.  I got very excited thinking that we were getting a big messy meal until I noticed folks tearing open the bags and eating the contents.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@suzilightning  We dropped in at the Newfoundland Tea Company to check out their teas.  I found it expensive but then I don't often buy flavoured teas.  These were about $18.00 per 100 grams.  Is that a reasonable price?  They had some interesting flavors one of which is blueberry.  Hmm, may have to go back and get some.

Seems a bit steep to me.  I got John some packaged loose blueberry tea in the Auk Island Winery gift shop while he was sampling the product.

Can't wait for Twillingate … and St.John's.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We have just had breakfast and are getting ready to check out and head to Twillingate.  We plan on stopping for lunch at Doyle, Sansome and Sons, where the food is terrific.  They have an outside seating area and it is a beautiful day here today so we hope to take advantage of that.  We stayed at the Comfort Inn last night and breakfast was better than I would have expected.for a middle of the road place.  I had oatmeal, yogurt and tea while John had scrambled eggs, sausages, juice and coffee.  Also on offer were hard boiled eggs, assorted muffins, baked items, fresh fruit and waffles which you cooked up yourself.  There is a tourist information place across the street where we will pick up a map.  I forgot to pack ours and our rental does not have GPS.

P_20190730_084758_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20190730_084750_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Yes.

Not so well-formed.

Maybe your moose had some IBS...the ones we have seen camping are a very large version of rabbit turds - well formed nearly golf balls.

Back on track - that is so upsetting one of your meals was a dud, and some nice local fish to boot!  Curious to hear about shellfish reports (assuming you enjoy these items!) 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Maybe your moose had some IBS...the ones we have seen camping are a very large version of rabbit turds - well formed nearly golf balls.

Back on track - that is so upsetting one of your meals was a dud, and some nice local fish to boot!  Curious to hear about shellfish reports (assuming you enjoy these items!) 

We hope to have some lobster for lunch  but I'm not sure if it is in season right now.

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight we ate at a place called Rosie's.  We both had fish and chips, although John had more fish than I did, plus he had dressing and gravy for his fries.  The food was disappointing.  The fish was cod, but it was the thinner piece of the loin and was a bit dry.  The fries were not crispy but at least they weren't greasy. 

Unfortunately, overcooked fish and soft fries is a common (and somewhat traditional) combination throughout the region. At my restaurant, I've had customers look me in the eye and tell me my fish wasn't cooked because it was visibly moist. I trained the regulars to tell me they like theirs "old school," and I'd cook it longer for them. Some people are just suspicious of fish that isn't dry, just as others have the same inability to choke down a piece of pork that shows the slightest hint of pink. All you can do is accept it, take their money, and move on.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

We hope to have some lobster for lunch  but I'm not sure if it is in season right now.

I know 'Canner season was about a month or so back.  Not sure exactly, but you are in the right place if there is anyone who will know! :)

Have a great time, thanks again for taking us along with you (it is much easier on my wallet this way!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2