• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salted Skinless Chicken Thighs

Vision

I'm salting skinless chicken thighs on both sides overnight and low roasting them for 4 hours. They come out great but have one issue, the top side develops a thin dried out leathery surface and the bottom comes out perfectly. Anybody have an idea what is going on and if there is a work around? Thanks.

When you say "low roasting", what temperature?  I'd use skin-on thighs and steam bake in a CSO (if you are not already).  One hour at 300F works well.  Try decreasing the temperature and increasing the time if it's not the effect you want..

Four hours for skinless chicken thighs sounds like you may be approaching chicken pemmican rather than roast chicken.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

And what are you roasting them in?  Is the bottom side on a rack or a pan/dish.

Where is the heat? Above or top and bottom?

4 hours sounds long even at 250 F. 

The fix might be as simple as covering in foil

• Like 1

Not sure I believe that basting adds moisture. Toughness in tender meat is about protein contraction due to temperature. Basting in a pan cooked dish has the effect of heating the top more than it would if left alone. Promotes even cooking. 

Putting bacon on top or skin I suspect is more of a heat shield than anything in an oven. 

Havent we worked through all this years ago somewhere on eG? Maybe NathanMs stuff?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1