• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afternoon Tea

Nicolai

Afternoon Tea at Warren House

GafF00f.jpg

A typical old fashioned Afternoon Tea was commandeered by my better half as in commandeered my marching orders to Warren House in the deep leafy Surrey.

We were served at the terrace in a sunny afternoon with a slight beautiful breeze overlooking the fountain and trees......

1sttZeK.jpg

First you are presented with a tea caddy and menu to select your tea....

kmOFLRO.jpg

I choose a Darjeeling loose tea which came with a sand timer and was instructed by the Maitre 'D to steep for 3mn or else....

zj8LGSh.jpg

Then the menu was presented.....

MV2t9FY.jpg

and finally the three tier platters stand in all it's glory.....

IxaXbiH.jpg

Refills at request and the finale was with a glass of Veuve Clicquot and a nice Cuban Partagas Shorts.

Life is good when you listen to your wife.

3MkipQ8.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Nicolai, this is just lovely, your photos are evocative of how delightful Afternoon Tea can be in a lovely setting. Thank YOU!

I LOVE Afternoon tea and I wish I had some photos of "Tea" in my grandparents home when I was a child. Presided over by my great grandmother, until her death in 1949, it was memorable.  Although at the time I had no idea how "different" it was compared to how other families conducted their lives. Most had "dinner" at midday and supper in the early evening.

There were two large round tables in the sitting room, one with the tea pots and tableware and the other laden with every kind of food one would find on a British tea table.  My great grandmother had spent a lot of time in GB and one of my great aunts was born there.

I was five when I was allowed to attend "tea" with the grownups, having a cup of "cambric" tea with my plate of goodies. My grandmother kept a starched, white pinafore in a cupboard to cover my regular clothes which might be a bit grubby. Or a bit horsey as I had a pony and often had to be forcibly peeled off it at meal times.

During the latter half of the '40s although my uncles and aunts and their children had moved out of the big house, they still showed up for tea so there were usually twenty or more people to serve.  

I have some of the "receipts" for tea cakes and tea breads, scones and biscuits from my grandparent's cook.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

12 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Nicolai, this is just lovely, your photos are evocative of how delightful Afternoon Tea can be in a lovely setting. Thank YOU!

I LOVE Afternoon tea and I wish I had some photos of "Tea" in my grandparents home when I was a child...........................

............I have some of the "receipts" for tea cakes and tea breads, scones and biscuits from my grandparent's cook.

I am happy that my post brought back good memories for you and delighted to read your post taking us back to cherished times.

Thank you

• Like 5