• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Painting molds in advance

Tiffany B

Hello, 

I am new to this forum. It is nice to meet you all.

For August I have 2 big custom chocolate jobs and would love to know if I can paint the molds with tempered cocoa butter weeks in advance and then shell, fill, cap, at the last minute?

Will the paint hold and be shiny and beautiful? 

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Tiffany B said:

Hello, 

I am new to this forum. It is nice to meet you all.

For August I have 2 big custom chocolate jobs and would love to know if I can paint the molds with tempered cocoa butter weeks in advance and then shell, fill, cap, at the last minute?

Will the paint hold and be shiny and beautiful? 

Thanks in advance

Welcome Tiffany 

Generally painting in advance works fine. Don’t store them anywhere too hot or humid.

Alternately you could make the order now and freeze until they are needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Welcome Tiffany 

Generally painting in advance works fine. Don’t store them anywhere too hot or humid.

Thank you! Freezing is a great idea!

2 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

Definitely second this.  What is your capacity?  How many molds do you have, how fast are you, etc.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I need 160 bonbons painted like soccer balls and only have 6 semi-sphere molds (24 cavities each) so freezing them would be amazing and timesaver! 

4 hours ago, Tiffany B said:

I need 160 bonbons painted like soccer balls and only have 6 semi-sphere molds (24 cavities each)

So close... thinking about doing cleanup twice for the same job to get 16 more pieces would probably have me seeing if I could get one more mold in time. But that's just my dislike of the cleanup talking, not an actual suggestion. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tri2Cook said:

So close... thinking about doing cleanup twice for the same job to get 16 more pieces would probably have me seeing if I could get one more mold in time. But that's just my dislike of the cleanup talking, not an actual suggestion. :D

You may be completely right! I have cleaning an polishing too 😊