• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sucrose, Glucose, Dextrose in Wybauws Fine Chocolates

I'm trying to create some Wyabauw recipes but when trying to find the ingredients I'm coming up short. Based in the UK, any potential suppliers would be hugely appreciated as mine haven't got a clue what i'm talking about.

Sucrose - is this a liquid ingredient? I'm assuming you can't just use sugar?

Sorbitol - I've found liquid, does anyone know if Wyabauw recipes are expecting powder form instead?

Dextrose - does this have another name in the UK?

Glucose - I've noted the distinction in the book between glucose syrup and glucose, does anyone use pure glucose?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!

So sucrose is simply table sugar.

Sorbitol liquid is 70% solids - so increase the amount by 100/70. Wybauw seems to use the powdered I recall.

Dextrose - look for powdered glucose - same thing (as different from atomized glucose). Used a lot in Europe - I find it in my local European deli store here in Canada.

Glucose - refers to glucose syrup in his book. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So sucrose is simply table sugar.

Sorbitol liquid is 70% solids - so increase the amount by 100/70. Wybauw seems to use the powdered I recall.

Dextrose - look for powdered glucose - same thing (as different from atomized glucose). Used a lot in Europe - I find it in my local European deli store here in Canada.

Glucose - refers to glucose syrup in his book. 

Kerry you're a dream thank you, I felt like I was back at school failing at chemistry.

So for sucrose you literally use a granulated sugar, with the idea that it will dissolve in the heat? 

Just now, understandingcocoa said:

Kerry you're a dream thank you, I felt like I was back at school failing at chemistry.

So for sucrose you literally use a granulated sugar, with the idea that it will dissolve in the heat? 

Yup - table sugar is sucrose. A disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose. If dissolving is an issue you can always use fruit sugar - same thing - finer crystals.

In the UK try www.homechocolatefactory.com

They have dextrose and glucose (powder and syrup).

Sosa brand so usually more expensive than other brands though....

3 hours ago, understandingcocoa said:

I'm trying to create some Wyabauw recipes but when trying to find the ingredients I'm coming up short. Based in the UK, any potential suppliers would be hugely appreciated as mine haven't got a clue what i'm talking about.

Sucrose - is this a liquid ingredient? I'm assuming you can't just use sugar?

Sorbitol - I've found liquid, does anyone know if Wyabauw recipes are expecting powder form instead?

Dextrose - does this have another name in the UK?

Glucose - I've noted the distinction in the book between glucose syrup and glucose, does anyone use pure glucose?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1