• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IP or Sous Vide???

Kim Shook

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you!  Temp??

I'd do 135, I think. I'm not sure re the time. 12 hours might not be long enough given the size of the thing and the cut.  You could do 12 hrs and then try a piece and cook more if needed. Makes it hard to plan a meal though.

Maybe somebody else has experience with it. @rotuts ?

@Kim Shook

im not quite sure what a sirloin tip roast is.

in my area , sirloin tips a cut across the grain , and sold in thick strips that reflect the cutting of

what for me is sirloin flap meat ,  the flap is about 1 1/2 to 2 " thick when i buy it whole

3 - 4 lbs a flap

based on your dimensions is the 4 "  the thickness ?   so it might be a sirloin tip whole flap ?

if so , Ive enjoy the whole flap cooked 130 F for 6 H    

Ive also cut the flap into smaller ' steaks'   , same thickness as the whole flap

and used that same timing and enjoyed it.

don't use too much salt , as you will get some nice Jus  that you can use for a sauce

for me  130 F meat isn't really rare , but rare and a tiny bit more

if 125 F was the accepted pasteurization point , Id probably do a lot of beef at that temp

w a bit more time for tenderness

are you able to take a pic of the meat pre-SV ?

it would be interesting to see the culprit.

a roast for me  is a bit more ' chunky ' than what you describe.

• Like 1

P.S.:

images for Sirloin Tip Roast :

sirloin tip roast

so is your roast like these examples , and 4 " long lets say rather then thick ?

Flap :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_steak

and

https://www.finecooking.com/article/meet-your-new-favorite-steak

note the whole flap lower in the article.

if your roast is more like  the first ref , just 4 " long   Id go for 130 F  8 - 12.

I also didn't know that its in New England that the flap meat mentioned is called sirloin tips

find what this flap is called in your areas , and get it whole , and on sale if you can

as its Good to Great Eating

flap , whole , looks like this :

051141051-01-whole-flap-steak.jpg.a46c40a5f9cd65efec1c8e17c39ee0bf.jpg

cut across the grain , as its usually packed , looks like this

051141051-02-flap-steak-strips.jpg.b4e956542fd94f131d5ddd545b58effa.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Ii buy flap from an Asian super.    It was about half price a half dozen years ago.    Started jumping as it became more in demand in restaurants as well as homes.    

I let it soak in a teriyaki type marinade for maybe an hour, dry it well then dredge in EVOO.    Let excess drip off before searing in smoking hot grill pan, turning once it is well crusted.    Should not be overcooked.   

Also good just left to marinate in salt, cracked pepper and EVOO.    Same treatment as above.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

not to re-rail this topic :

is the flap you get

@Margaret Pilgrim

the triangular shaped meat above ?

there are other ' flaps '

here it used to go on sale ( i.e. a good sale ) for $ 3,99 , and nicely trimmed 

now a similar sale is $ 4.99  a great bargain even now.

Edited by rotuts (log)

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

not to re-rail this topic :

is the flap you get

@Margaret Pilgrim

the triangular shaped meat above ?

Yes.    And not even thickness.    A good cut when you are cooking for people who like meat cooked on a continuum of doneness.     i.e., something for everyone to like or dislike.

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

SV is best.   I call sirloin flap

quietly , to myself

Bavette.

I label my costco flap steak "bavette" and it tastes better that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@rotuts here is a picture of the sirloin tip roast:

DSCN9878.JPG.8e78bda35a36d3d7ced89266f2dbd1ad.JPG

The four inch measurement is how thick it is.  I'm going with your method (probably Wednesday).  A little salt and pepper and then bag it?  130F for 6 hours.  Anything else I need to know?  I have beef stock and beef fat in the freezer and plan to make gravy tomorrow and roast potatoes, sprouts, and Yorkies to go with dinner.  

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

I don't want to ruin a delicious looking pice of meat

but if you run over the 6 hrs , I think it might be better

can you do 8 ?  if not , try 6 and report

You can do 6h and cut off a chunk and see if its tender enough.

If not, back in the pool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@rotuts here is a picture of the sirloin tip roast:

DSCN9878.JPG.8e78bda35a36d3d7ced89266f2dbd1ad.JPG

The four inch measurement is how thick it is.  I'm going with your method (probably Wednesday).  A little salt and pepper and then bag it?  130F for 6 hours.  Anything else I need to know?  I have beef stock and beef fat in the freezer and plan to make gravy tomorrow and roast potatoes, sprouts, and Yorkies to go with dinner.  

Off topic and FWIW, this is the cut and configuration I frequently buy at GO.    I turn it into my version of a Mississippi roast, i.e., a long, slow braise with veg, herbs, broth.    Always a great first meal and planned overs for several more.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

43 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

how do I get a hot roast back in a vacuum bag if I need to cook it more?

My vacuum sealer does not have a "moist" setting. I learned from @PedroG to make the vacuum bag very long and then hang the bag, start the machine, and then stop the vacuum when the liquid approaches the vacuum sealer. He swore that if followed, one would never suck liquid into the vacuum sealer. Which so far has worked totally reliably. I'd use a similar method for the roast bag, then when you cut off the top to check doneness, you'll still have lots of room in the bag to vacuum seal it again. Note: one sometimes need to wipe around the lip of the bag so that the vacuum sealer makes a good seal.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@rotuts - I can certainly do 8 hours.  

@gfweb - how do I get a hot roast back in a vacuum bag if I need to cook it more?

I usually use ziplocs so its easy... pop it in and remove air by the submersion method. I don't see why you couldn't pat it dry and vac seal it, though

• Thanks 1

Im still a bit puzzled by this pice of meat.

I can't really place it on The Cow , 

is it a single piece ?    has it been shaped to look round ?

Im sure its going to give me phantasmagoric dreams ,

I like Knowing My Meat.

I would have done well on The Letterman Show .

• Haha 1