• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

4 hours ago, teonzo said:

When dealing with wild berries it's important to remember that the sugars / solids content can vary quite a lot depending on the season. During some hot and dry summers I had to add water to wild mulberries and blackberries to be able to get a granita. Didn't try to make a sorbet, but I suspect I could go without adding sugars.

Yeah, that's why for sorbets I've been using a refractometer. If the Brix of a berry is, say 50% higher than average, then you calculate the formula by multiplying the solids, the POD (sweetness), and the freezing point depression by 1.5. This would definitely change the balance of added sugars. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

4 hours ago, teonzo said:

When dealing with wild berries it's important to remember that the sugars / solids content can vary quite a lot depending on the season. During some hot and dry summers I had to add water to wild mulberries and blackberries to be able to get a granita. Didn't try to make a sorbet, but I suspect I could go without adding sugars.

Yeah, that's why for sorbets I've been using a refractometer. If the Brix of a berry is, say 50% higher than average, then you calculate the formula by multiplying the solids, the POD, and PAC by 1.5. This would definitely change the balance of added sugars.