• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken egg bottargue?

Margaret Pilgrim

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I noticed this concept in State Bird Provision cookbook and this  internet recipe .      It flies in the face of my "how to handle chicken eggs" understanding.    Do any of you have experience with this?      It would be a fabulous condiment if safe.

Yes.  I have done it. @Anna N did as well, here. I think there are multiple reports floating around here.  It does make a nice condiment. 

Here's a thread about them started by @Franci: link.

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add links (log)
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

THANK YOU for this re-enforcement and links to your experience.     Will do this!  

Going back to that last thread that I added a link to, I think I will try the miso cure and maybe the gochugaru.  That last one might have a flavor profile that would limit its use but I could easily try just a yolk or two to test it out. 

• Thanks 1

A similar technique is used by Carlo Cracco, one of the best chefs in Italy. If you google "cracco marinated yolk" you'll get various links with recipes and explanations. He uses a mix of salt, sugar and bean puree for the curing. The resulting yolks can be treated like fresh "pasta", making spaghetti or other kinds (no cooking needed).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo