• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A retrospective look at astronaut food

chromedome

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I remember the mercury program well.  I was at the right age to be fascinated.

My family and I ( on the west coast ) stayed up until the wee wee hours to see the first launch 

delay after delay 

B&W  Tube TV of course.

and hit took my sister and I forever to get my mother to buy a jar of Tang.

I tried as best as i could to like it 

but 1/2 of it stayed on the shelf for a long long time.

My mother of course pointed this out to us from time to time.

Savings and Loans proliferated in CA at that time.

One , Great Wester  offered Space Food for any new deposit 

it was a foil packed of freeze dried Ham and Peas.

I took my small saving out of the competitor across the street

and deposited the minimum.  topped it up w the miminum

for another pack of Space Food.   I didn't put the S&L out of buisness

but they did run out of Space Food.

you ate the ham and peas dry.  salty and crunchy it was.

• Like 3

Heston Blumenthal had a show a few years ago

part of a series :  better snacks at the Cinema , better airplane food etc

and as a British Astronaut was about to fly on the IntSS

it was devoted to space food.  this was the part mentioned in the fine article about an individual

astronaut's personal favorites.

but HB took some time talking about the redistribution of fluids in the astronauts ,  nasal congestiong

fluid accumulating around the tongue etc  issues w crumbs .

and also , the little mentioned problems w aromas on the IntSS :

apparently it's a good think you have lost your sense of smell :  the air is ' scrubbed " for sure

but so many little molecules of offensiveness can't be taken out of the IntSS air

who knew ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I had completely forgotten about Food Sticks!  They were so incredibly weird.  For some reason, I decided that is exactly what soft dog treats must have tasted like.  

Space sticks were a lot like Tootsie Rolls.    

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

There's a diner/burger place in my former home town of Marion, AR, where the proprietress makes all manner of homemade pies. One of her standbys is a "Tang Pie," which appears to greatly favor a Key Lime pie except with Tang instead of Key lime juice. 

@Smithy, it's Big John's Shake Shack, where we ate when y'all came through last year. They now have a new building, behind the old one, which has been leveled for more parking. Maybe we can try it again when y'all come through this fall!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Once upon a time I bought a jar of Tang for a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe.  The cake was great but after about twenty years the jar of Tang was not.  I threw it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Once upon a time I bought a jar of Tang for a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe.  The cake was great but after about twenty years the jar of Tang was not.  I threw it out.

Fascinating!    What were the qualities of Tang that she wanted for that recipe, and how could you/we have substituted real ingredients to create the same effect?

eGullet member #80.

16 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Fascinating!    What were the qualities of Tang that she wanted for that recipe, and how could you/we have substituted real ingredients to create the same effect?

Make one get up off her chair, you will?  OK, 13.5 g Tang.  Beranbaum stresses Tang is not optional because of the bright orange flavor.  You might try substituting orange essential oil.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had a mango filled donut ar Voodoo Donuts that had Tang dusted vanilla frosting. The sourness played off the mango filiing. That was probably my only time eating Tang, since I know my Mother would not have allowed it in the house when I was a kid😉

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I remember it being around for a year or two in my childhood. Frozen concentrated orange juice hadn't quite made it to my neck of the woods yet, so the options were either canned or fresh-squeezed, and the latter was only an occasional extravagance (served in very small glasses which, IIRC, were the deliberately-reusable jars from a brand of mustard or something).

I didn't mind it, as a kid, but once the frozen stuff arrived it was all over for Tang.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 weeks later...

...and, as a bookend to the original discussion, a look at how NASA's "space farming" technology is/can be applied here on Earth:

https://psmag.com/social-justice/the-farms-of-the-future-were-built-for-outer-space-will-they-work-on-earth/