• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bi-material Kitchen Tools - picks and pans

Kerry Beal

Over on the Control Freak thread @CanadianHomeChef and @SantiagoDraco are discussing the La Creuset bi-material ladle. A little research leads me to a variety of bi-material tools in the same series.

I'm not a huge fan of fiberglass reinforced nylon tools myself - no particular reason - just a personal bias. But I do own some Kuhn Rikon metal and silicone edged fish spatulas that I know we have discussed in the past and I do love them. 

IMG_6222.thumb.jpg.06f2ecf2de3b44b2a69c5bf2c3cd7e7e.jpg

Here's the one that lives up north - I have one at home as well. I picked them up inexpensively at Homesense. I have gifted a few over the years.

IMG_6223.thumb.jpg.5d3418432403f596593baf584fe95797.jpg

When we showed up this year we found these in the tool crock - same manufacturer but somehow not the same - just don't feel right - not sure I've given them a fair chance though.

The La Creuset bi-material ladle is being touted as ideal when you want to get the contents of a pot scooped out without tipping the pot. Wonder how well it works for that?

So show us your bi-material tools and tell us what's good and bad about them. Enable us if you will!

We don't have any nor do I see an advantage to having them. It seems like they just have a place where the materials intersect each other for various (possibly harmful) food items build up over time. We certainly use a variety of silicone/metal/other material utensils but we don't have any that have 2 materials in one tool.

That being said, maybe some of the plastic/silicone utensils we have may have some type of reinforcing internally but they certainly don't have an interface surface visible.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Years ago I saw a whisk with the wires covered in silicone, I thought "cool, so I can use it with teflon non-stick pans". Few seconds after paying for it I realized that standard whisks have round wires so damaging teflon is pretty hard. Oh well, that silicone whisk still does its job as a standard one.

What I find really useful are the flexible beaters for small stand mixers (Kenwood and Kitchen Aid), they can scratch all the bowl surface so there's no need to stop them and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

Wires covered in silicone...I have a Le Creuset silicone balloon whisk, though since the whole thing is covered in silicone I'm not sure it counts for the discussion.  Plus the Le Creuset is handle heavy and so falls out of pots.

More on topic I have a WMF silicone ball whisk.  I have never used it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I own the bimaterial spoon and ladle. First got the spoon based on Kenji's recomendation. I like it for my nonstick and enamel cookware. I've never been a fan of wooden or plastic spoons. The little bit of silicone gives it the flexibility to reach all the corners, but the plastic gives it sturdiness. I use it daily. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/