• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holding cooking instruments on the counter

Beusho

I'm looking for something that can hold spatulas, whisks, tongs etc on the countertop. I've tried a simple ikea basket, folder basket and everything just kind of jumbles together. Is there anything you recommend that can keep everything upright and organized?

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

And whatever you decide on as the perfect solution will be perfect only until you acquire one more tool which will not fit in there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Darienne said:

A carousal.  That's what I have.  Perfect.

This sounds reasonable which one do you have?

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

I'd always used an old crock and thought the idea of spending money on a dedicated utensil holder was silly but I picked up an Oxo utensil holder at a discount store for about 5 bucks and I like it a lot.  The dividers prevent most things from getting tangled up. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix link (log)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Beusho said:

This sounds reasonable which one do you have?

My carousel has no brand name.  I turned it upside down to see if it did and was so surprised to find that it was made in West Germany.  Now that goes back a while.

The story of my carousel is shameful.  It was a piece in a second hand charity shop which was full of the pieces you could buy.   Of course, you cannot buy the store's display pieces.  However, the store manager was off on break and this dear old man (I was then not old) was left in charge and I bamboozled him into selling it to me.   I love it.     

DSC01534.thumb.JPG.88d863b577f25a3d82dfe2ab77d97bb3.JPG

Oh it has almost no pieces in the outside round because Ed, with whom I share the kitchen, doesn't want it filled that way.  You win some...you lose some...

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne, that carousel might be similar to one you would find today for art supplies. As someone who used to toil at a drafting table, I seem to remember having something like that.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@scubadoo97

where did you get that container "?

I had one similar , for composting back when I did that

w a lid.    can't ind it

and would love to have another.

2 - 3 qts or so

any idea Enablers ?

checking Amaqzon

https://www.amazon.com/Brushed-Stainless-Compost-Indoor-Kitchen/dp/B008MA16QC

don't need a ventilated lid.  just bucket w flat lid is fine

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

anyidea Enablers ?

Like this?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I use a stainless container like this.  No lid 

I use two less-stylish containers, both aluminum from the dollar store. One has the serving spoons, flipper-type spatulas, a ladle and a masher. The other (smaller) one contains whisks, silicon spatulas and kitchen shears.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I realized I could sue a silicone lid.

I don't have any so 5 different sizes might work

one for the pail and Id try to use the rest for cooking.

eG :  very stimulating  great ideas

thank you

believe it or not , that's the one I had years ago

not as flashy as this version , back when one could send LV stuff S of the B w no dutry

and 20 % off w the exchange rate !

On 7/21/2019 at 9:29 AM, chromedome said:

I use two less-stylish containers, both aluminum from the dollar store. One has the serving spoons, flipper-type spatulas, a ladle and a masher. The other (smaller) one contains whisks, silicon spatulas and kitchen shears.

That’s  not a picture of mine but the closest pic of one like mine.  

Mine is a vollrath.  Must have picked it at a resale shop.  

61A6612D-C425-4AAE-95FF-EDEE6448FFF0.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I bought an attractive and inexpensive graduated cannister set - the kind meant to store flour, sugar, coffee, and tea.  I like the graduated sizes for different utensils.  Make them easier to find.  

I like that idea. My two existing canisters are a bit over-full, and a graduated set would probably fit nicely in the same space. Something to keep an eye open for...

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I purchased a beautiful utensil crock from Alewine Pottery. 

It is quite beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

After many years of using a plain white ceramic bain marie, I purchased a beautiful utensil crock from Alewine Pottery. They're located in the Smokey Mountains, and we always enjoy visiting their store/studio whenever we're in the area. It sits on a bamboo turntable I purchased on Amazon.

IMG_0679.thumb.jpg.2e45370a16a6212136b2704f7ede83f4.jpg

That IS beautiful.  The turntable is genius, though.  I never thought of that.  

• Like 3

IMG_7328.thumb.JPG.bba996930206cabc806e77fb40efd832.JPG

I've got a lovely, hand made by a girlfriend a long, long time ago, pottery thing, which doesn't hold much, but serves its purpose.  Everything else is on hooks here and there...

IMG_7329.thumb.JPG.372a119083f8764e29462a847d567b1f.JPG

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have a "few" utensil holders for the ones that are not hanging. Mine are mostly of "collected" gadgets and odd things. I have an isolated corner counter area that is pretty much useless for anything except holding my "spooner" which prompted me to use similar containers for forks and large spoons and get them out of the "flatware" drawer which never worked correctly and which, having an iffy "stopper" from time to time exited the frame, dumping everything on the floor.  

HPIM3791.thumb.jpg.0148e4028e6b72b98a5e477de1dd8c4e.jpg

Some of my containers, metal mesh, came from Staples in the office supply section and because they are a bit lightweight, the bottom contains aquarium rocks or marbles to keep them from tipping with longer, top-heavy gadgets.

HPIM3796.thumb.jpg.2d0b0076ac3efc79777cd48d8d618f3f.jpg

And the hanging gadgets. Looks confusing but I know where everything is. Also my earthquake warning system. 

995216852_Myhangingkitchengadgets2copy.jpg.2d4b6127e8024395171d3fdb1d1c743c.jpg

P.S.  I also have ZERO "junk drawers"  in fact I got rid of all but two small drawers in my kitchen that hold only small items such as corks, bottle caps, pour spouts, my tea caddy spoons, and other small gadgets, many in little plastic bags to keep them clean.  

The stuff in the "cans" go into the dishwasher periodically. The metal mesh ones can go into the dishwasher with their contents and then are set on a large cooling rack over a full-size sheet pan to dry. This is fairly rapid here in the desert, today the humidity is 9%.  I got rid of the drawers after opening one that held some gadgets and finding a mouse staring back at me. 

The little pinkish desert mice invade when it is very hot, very cold or no rain for months. I do not want to share space with them. I washed everything in the drawer and set out traps, then decided to hell with it, broke up the drawer, tossed it into the trash and emptied all the others, cleaned everything that was in them and discarded them also.

All food stuff goes into Cambro containers or is stored in the freezer.  I have a lot of the large Cambro containers just for this reason.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 10

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett