• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for Mexican cookbook

Henga

My all-time favorite Mexican cookbook, not by Bayless or Kennedy, is The Complete Book of Mexican Cooking by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz, 1967 and I've owned it and used it since that date.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

11 minutes ago, Darienne said:

My all-time favorite Mexican cookbook, not by Bayless or Kennedy, is The Complete Book of Mexican Cooking by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz, 1967 and I've owned it and used it since that date.

She's very good!  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

When I was in Sedona last year, I picked up Jeff Smedstad's Elote Cafe Cookbook and Elote Cafe Notebook and have basically been cooking from them since. Probably from the notebook a bit more than the first book, but everything has been delicious.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

kind of depends on your skill level and if you want to go into more regional Mexican cooking.  There are a lot of newish cookbooks on Mexican food out there although the classics are still great. there really is a something good going on right now in Mexican cookbooks: All these came out this year

Made in Mexico: The Cookbook: Classic And Contemporary Recipes From Mexico City

Oaxaca: Home Cooking from the Heart of Mexico 

My Mexico City Kitchen: Recipes and Convictions [A Cookbook] 

Tu Casa Mi Casa: Mexican Recipes for the Home Cook

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links to be eG-friendly (log)

Mexico is not one cuisine or place. There are many regions/states. I posted this elsewhere here today about posole by the fantastic late Patricia Quintana for an example of excellence. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-10-13-fo-49542-story.html   She authored many books and taught.  The NYT obit  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/obituaries/patricia-quintana-dead.html

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 7:10 AM, Ann_T said:

I have Patricia Quintana's A Taste of Mexico.   Her Filete Al Chipotle is a favourite.

1539626036_FileteAlchiptleJuly12th2005-XL.thumb.jpg.64f9b23971e1db7953cb952feb8dc007.jpg

I've had that book forever and can't remember the last time I cooked from it. Time to revisit! Aside from the recipes it is just a beautiful book with lavish photographty.

• Like 1