• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

newchef

Can I Freeze This Cream Sauce?

I'm trying to make a Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchilada recipe and I don't know if the tomatillo cream sauce will be freezer-friendly.  

Basically I process the following ingredients in a food processor to make the cream sauce.  I plan on freezing the sauce in ice-cube trays for individual servings.  The sauce will then be thawed and spread on a baking dish and also used to top the enchiladas and cook in a 400 degree oven.

Thanks!

INGREDIENTS:

-26 ounces canned tomatillos, drained
-1 onion
-1/2 cup cilantro leaves
-1/3 cup vegetable broth
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-1 tbsp vegetable oil
-3 garlic cloves
-1 tbsp lime juice
-1 tsp sugar
-1 tsp salt

Seeing it is heavy cream, I think you should be able to freeze it.  You may have to whip the sauce to bring it back together once thawed.

• Like 2

Okanagancook has it in my books.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Posted (edited)

The heavy cream may separate into little fatty buttery bits in the freezer but if you heat the sauce to melt the fat, the fat should mix back in. Trying to mix it back in while cold will likely only yield frustration.  Or just bake the enchiladas and don't worry about it, it'll be fine once hot.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Thanks 1

OK, the consensus seems to be that I can freeze the sauce, although I should heat it up and stir it first to un-break the sauce before throwing it in the oven.  FWIW, some freezer-friendly recipes I’ve seen have heavy cream as an ingredient, so that helps our case as well.

Thanks everyone!

• Similar Content

• By jmacnaughtan
      Hi,

This is a slightly odd question, and I think this is probably the right place for it.

As I mentioned previously, I'm hosting a failed selfie exhibition and will be doing food and drink to match. One thing that I thought would be fun to do, however, was encase a functioning telephone in a set jelly/jell-O and have people call it.  It would be set on vibrate, obviously

Anyway, this is not something I've done before, and the logistics are a bit interesting:

- How can I stop the jelly destroying the electronics? Would a phone survive being vac-sealed?
      - Which proportion of gelatin to water do I need for structural stability, but maximum wobble?
      - Would a larger jelly wobble more satisfyingly?
      - Is a phone's vibrate setting even strong enough to wobble jelly?
      - Fully transparent or coloured?

I don't intend to serve this as food, so food safety and flavour are not an issue.

All suggestions welcome.
    • By Beckykp27
      I'm trying to make bonbons with milk shells for the first time and I'm struggling. When I melt my milk chocolate it is really thick. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure humidity is not an issue. I'm concerned that my shells wont empty out well and I'll be left with no room for ganache. I tried adding some cocoa butter last time but it affected the flavor. 

Disclaimer: I'm using pretty cheap milk chocolate (Ghirardelli) cuz I'm still learning. If you think this is the only issue please let me know.
    • By bague25
      Which are the pickles you have in your pantry right now?
      Which are the ones you dream of?
      Any recipes? Any secrets? Any reading material?
      Please share - as Monica says Inquiring minds want to know...
    • By Henga
      Hi there! I am looking for a good Mexican cookbook. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    • By Pastrypastmidnight
      So I tried my hand at croissants for the first time in about 5 years. I used the recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook. Despite the fact that I really struggled rolling them out (the dough was very stiff and resisted rolling), tore the dough layer in small patches quite a bit on the last turn, and probably took too long letting the butter get too warm, I got nice layers on the outside and on the interior and they did shatter nicely on the outside. I did not get that beautiful open honeycomb interior, however. 

I’d love any tips or feedback or advice anyone could offer to do better next time—thanks!