• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe request - butterscotch ripple ice cream

ElsieD

Would anyone have a recipe for butterscotch ripple ice cream they would share?  I have fond memories of it from my childhood and would like to make it.  I am looking for a custard based ice-cream where the caramel is slowly poured into the base as the churning nears completion to make the butterscotch layers.  I have checked my ice cream books and searched the internet but have come up empty-handed.  

I have no recipe either, but could you not make a vanilla custard base and also a butterscotch sauce?  Churn the vanilla, turn it into your storage container and then swirl the butterscotch through it?  OTOH, I'm sure you have already tried that one...:hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No, I haven't tried that but I will.  The vanilla recipe I use has 2 1/2 cups liquid and 6 egg yolks.  Any idea how much butterscotch sauce to use?  I guess my concern is that the sauce has to be "pourable" to mix in but not so warm as to melt the ice cream.

Is this what you want?  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Is this what you want?  

Well dang, if that isn't exactly what I was looking for.  I will make my own tried and true custard base but it was the butterscotch swirl that had me flummoxed.  Thank you!