• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The countertop topic

KennethT

Our kitchen is a patchwork of upgrades. The oldest part now is most of the cabinetry. Solid birch dating from the early sixties Our first upgrade was done in the late eighties. We spent most of our budget on flooring, and what was leftover was enough for formica counters and a modern looking tile backsplash. The kitchen is big, so whatever we do ends up being a lot of material. The formica was a fun loopy pattern and reminded me of a New York city bus. It lasted pretty well, for about twenty years.

Some time around 2012 we needed a new sink and decided on new countertops as well. We put in Caesarstone, in a rather dark swirly  blue. We were limited in color because of flooring and backsplash, and the price seemed reasonable. I used to spray it with Johnson's wax (I did that to the formica too and it really helped give it a long life), which was a terrific product and kept the surface smooth and glassy, but that wax has gone the way of most simple useful non toxic products: out of production. I never transfer hot pots directly from the stove to the counter. Nor have I ever chipped an edge and I don't see a lot of scratches, either. If you wash it sloppily with soap like my husband does, without rinsing, it dries a little streaky, but if you rinse it after soaping and give it a quick wipe with a bar mop it looks like new.

If I had deep pockets and a lot of time for maintenance I would have marble countertops.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Always read the fine print, no matter what you install. From Neolith:

This. I was doing some reading on Houzz where people were bitterly complaining about this product, but it seems like their fabricators were not used to dealing with it and repeatedly damaged it, prior to installation. On Neolith's site, there are specific handling instructions and equipment necessary, so like with anything, choosing the right installer is important. Since it's a relatively new product, some areas may not have any installers truly experienced or skilled with it, may treat it like any other stone product (which it's not) and cause damage and then blame the mfr of the material. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meanderer said:

We are in the preliminary stages of building a new home and have made a few decisions on finishes.  Countertop material is one of those and we have decided on Soapstone.  While it isn't cheap, it looks good, is resistant to heat, and it does not need to be sealed.  My wife was sold on it when she read that soapstone has been used in laboratories because of its antimicrobial qualities.  The only disadvantage is that the material is relatively soft, but I don't see either of us as particularly violent cooks so we aren't too worried about it.

We've had soapstone for two years. There's a ding or two, but that adds character right? I'm very happy with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

This. I was doing some reading on Houzz where people were bitterly complaining about this product, but it seems like their fabricators were not used to dealing with it and repeatedly damaged it, prior to installation. On Neolith's site, there are specific handling instructions and equipment necessary, so like with anything, choosing the right installer is important. Since it's a relatively new product, some areas may not have any installers truly experienced or skilled with it, may treat it like any other stone product (which it's not) and cause damage and then blame the mfr of the material. 

People complain more bitterly on Houzz than on almost any other forum; it's kinda fun to read all the miserable bastards, especially when I'm not one of them! I like my Caesarstone; yes it has its issues ( I don't know how you got away with wax on your Caesaerstone, @Katie Meadow, as that's usually the cause of problems!) but it's a fucking kitchen, and kitchens get knocked around, and smashed, and heat, and steam, and pets, and kids, and visitors, and idiots who feed your pets who wear heels onto wooden floors, etc. etc.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

We've had soapstone for two years. There's a ding or two, but that adds character right? I'm very happy with it.

This. Don't get me started on what stainless stove tops look like after a few years!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Wanna hear about our kitchen floor in one house?   Cork.  Spike heels.    80 pound sheepdog.    You get resigned to imperfections pretty fast.

An 80 pound sheepdog in spike heels could do a lot of damage. To itself, if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Mutamycete said:

Honestly, I consider that granite has to be the best material for countertops.

My favorite in my last 3 kitchens

• Like 1

When we renovated our kitchen, we decided on Neolith.  We got it in a rusty metal looking finish, which we love, and it is scratch-proof, water-proof, acid-proof, stain-proof, and never needs sealing or any other maintenance for that matter.  It is also heat resistant, although I wouldn't put a crazy hot pan directly on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

When we renovated our kitchen, we decided on Neolith.  We got it in a rusty metal looking finish, which we love, and it is scratch-proof, water-proof, acid-proof, stain-proof, and never needs sealing or any other maintenance for that matter.  It is also heat resistant, although I wouldn't put a crazy hot pan directly on it.

Speaking of your kitchen....have you taken us on a tour yet?  Did I miss it?

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

we’re still really happy with our neolith. It’s been great and totally lived up to its billing in terms of indestructibility. 

And you definitely don’t need to worry about hot things - I’ve been putting red hot pans on it since day one and it hasn’t batted an eyelid. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Speaking of your kitchen....have you taken us on a tour yet?  Did I miss it?

Nope - although the countertop has been the background of a few dinner pics...  I'm still working on the undercounter lighting so it's not really in its finished state yet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, &roid said:

we’re still really happy with our neolith. It’s been great and totally lived up to its billing in terms of indestructibility. 

And you definitely don’t need to worry about hot things - I’ve been putting red hot pans on it since day one and it hasn’t batted an eyelid. 

Thanks - it was your comments that got me to look into it in the first place!!!  So thank you!  When I first started looking into it, I was initially impressed when I actively tried to chip the face of the sample piece we got from the distributor - no matter what I tried, nothing worked - carbide tools, screwdrivers, ice pick.... you name it!

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Thanks - it was your comments that got me to look into it in the first place!!!  So thank you!  When I first started looking into it, I was initially impressed when I actively tried to chip the face of the sample piece we got from the distributor - no matter what I tried, nothing worked - carbide tools, screwdrivers, ice pick.... you name it!

I should be on commission for them - I frequently bore people with how great the product is 😂

be good to see the pics of yours when you get the lighting sorted 

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 1

In my newly built house I put quartz on all the counters.  It came from a Canadian company whose name I don't know.  It's white with a touch of light grey veining.  Quite nice and I like it better than the CaeserStone and the granite I've used in the past.