• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

&roid

&roid

I went through a similar process a year or two ago, trying to whittle down choices and find the best material to use. 

In the end end we went for a sintered stone product called Neolith. It’s a man made stone fabricated in a similar way to Dekton and has the same properties. 

Its been in for around six six months so far and I’m delighted with it. The main things I like about it are:

- total heat resistance, as it’s such a regular structure there are none of the tiny fault lines you get in natural stone or manmade quartz. You can put anything hot on it and not worry. I had a silestone quartz countertop previously and managed to crack that with a pan of just boiled water. 

- utterly impossible to scratch or stain. We destruction tested scores of samples before picking the material (which was great fun!), I tried a screwdriver tip, keys, even an electric drill and could not make a mark on it. 

- so far it’s held up very well to being banged with pans. I’ve not managed to chip an edge yet which is in stark contrast to the quartz tops we had before. 

Its not a cheap cheap product but we found a great fabricator who supplied and installed it for less than the corian quote we’d received. 

CF11D4D8-3E72-4159-9235-305FCA8882FA.jpeg

906F18DB-388F-415F-99A0-6931C5783DB6.jpeg

&roid

&roid

I went through a similar process a year or two ago, trying to whittle down choices and find the best material to use. 

In the end end we went for a sintered stone product called Neolith. It’s a man made stone fabricated in a similar way to Dekton and has the same properties. 

Its been in for around six six months so far and I’m delighted with it. The main things I like about it are:

- total heat resistance, as it’s such a regular structure there are none of the tiny fault lines you get in natural stone or manmade quartz. You can put anything hot on it and not worry. I had a silestone quartz countertop previously and managed to crack that with a pan of just boiled water. 

- utterly impossible to scratch or stain. We destruction tested scores of samples before picking the material (which was great fun!), I tried a screwdriver tip, keys, even an electric drill and could not make a mark on it. 

- so far it’s held up very well to being banged with pans. I’ve not managed to chip an edge yet which is in stark contrast to the quartz tops we had before. 

Its not a cheap cheap product but we found a great fabricator who supplied and installed it for less than the coriander quote we’d received. 

CF11D4D8-3E72-4159-9235-305FCA8882FA.jpeg

906F18DB-388F-415F-99A0-6931C5783DB6.jpeg