• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate and confections equipment auction

gfron1

Kerry shared this with me and so I thought I'd share with the group. The reason Bissingers couldn't participate in our eG gathering in May has now become obvious. They have all of their equipment being auctioned. if anyone wants to buy with a local person on the ground let me know. I'm going to do my best to be onsite for the auction so I can grab a few things, but those of you looking for slightly bigger volume could grab some deals. My point is, if you need someone to move and store items I'm happy to help.

HERE

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Kerry shared this with me and so I thought I'd share with the group. The reason Bissingers couldn't participate in our eG gathering in May has now become obvious. They have all of their equipment being auctioned. if anyone wants to buy with a local person on the ground let me know. I'm going to do my best to be onsite for the auction so I can grab a few things, but those of you looking for slightly bigger volume could grab some deals. My point is, if you need someone to move and store items I'm happy to help.

HERE

That's a dangerous offer! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

That's a dangerous offer! 

*Some restrictions may apply :)

10 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Very interesting.  Will you be going to a preview?

I'm going to try. That's the day our big review comes out so everything is tentative, but I'm going to prep to do my best to be at the auction. I'm going for the guitar so don't bother asking me to get that for anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Little Dippers are tempting but too small, while the 200lb melters are too big. 

I could go for a vibrating table or one of the small copper pans ... are you willing to pack and ship items that size?

47 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

The Little Dippers are tempting but too small, while the 200lb melters are too big. 

I could go for a vibrating table or one of the small copper pans ... are you willing to pack and ship items that size?

Need the Goldilock’s temperer!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

My role would be get things to a shipper, but you would have to do the shipping....for example, I would take it to the UPS store and give it to them to box. I don't have the supplies to pack big items, and I certainly don't want to be responsible if they get damaged in shipping. 

50 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

My role would be get things to a shipper, but you would have to do the shipping....for example, I would take it to the UPS store and give it to them to box. I don't have the supplies to pack big items, and I certainly don't want to be responsible if they get damaged in shipping. 

That’s plenty helpful, I can guesstimate UPS charges based on size and weight to decide my high bid. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Since I have an ez temper I don’t need any of it 😘

The table-sized wide bowl ones are also interesting, designed for hand-coating truffles maybe?  

Good thing 2000 miles is too long of a road trip for retrieving big stuff ... probably 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Found it!  Cute lil' 50 lb guy, I could fit that in a rental car 🙃

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/rabin/catalogue-id-rabin10078/lot-95adc5a8-46dc-4d7c-abd6-aa7d011888b9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Found it!  Cute lil' 50 lb guy, I could fit that in a rental car 🙃

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/rabin/catalogue-id-rabin10078/lot-95adc5a8-46dc-4d7c-abd6-aa7d011888b9

You would love it. I have 3 of them.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

4 minutes ago, DayGameCandy said:

I may be able to help Rob.   Let me know.

Jon

That is wonderful Jon - I’m sure Rob is thinking WTF have I gotten myself into!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

You would love it. I have 3 of them.

I believe you!  Is there a spigot or do you ladle the chocolate out?  Do they have special power needs? 

Actually the 200 lb one wouldn't be so ridiculous during Christmas or if/when I grow the wholesale side.  I have a 24 kg mol d' art, 200 lb is only four melters-full ... great for slab truffle production when I'm using 3 or 4 lb per frame.  I will watch them all.

@gfron1 if you get to the preview, I'm interested in melters up to 200 lb, small copper bows and a vibrating table.  If they look trashed up close, let me know!

@Chocolot, a few more questions if you don't mind - how hard is it to clean?  (Do you have three so you never have to switch chocolates?  :) Is there a minimum amount of chocolate needed for it to work well?  And about how much does the thing weigh?

thanks!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I rarely clean them out. Yes, that is why I have 3:). Cleaning is fairly easy. You just drain the chocolate-It has a wonderful spigot for dispensing. Then, you have to get above it and just pull the agitator up. Probably 8-10 pounds are needed. It uses 110v. I can barely lift it when empty. It has a water jacket that is designed to be plumbed into cold water line. It heats and then cools with the water when needed. That means you need a drain. I have a water line available, but no drain. I do not have mine plumbed. I just turned it into a closed loop. It takes longer to cool, but I have worked that way for years without a problem. Mine are the old ones that have a dial timer. I adjust the heat to turn off about 3 a.m. By the time I get to work, It has cooled to the preset temp and I am ready to go. 

Edited by Chocolot (log)
  • Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I suspect most of this stuff will go well beyond what my budget would allow but one of those 12" "R&D" panning units would probably be fun to play around with. Fortunately, I have too much on my "need" list right now to get my chocolate work area the way I want it to be looking at fun toys so there's no temptation to even try.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I suspect most of this stuff will go well beyond what my budget would allow but one of those 12" "R&D" panning units would probably be fun to play around with. Fortunately, I have too much on my "need" list right now to get my chocolate work area the way I want it to be looking at fun toys so there's no temptation to even try.

It's the blower on them that calls out to me!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's the blower on them that calls out to me!

Yeah, I noticed that too. I know nothing about panning but I'd like to have a way to get some kind of protective coating on gummies so they're not sticky. But I have some essentials that need to be ticked off the list before any toys can be considered. Toys won't do me much good without a place to use them. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.