• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fondue

Worst Soda Flavor?

For a long time, I thought the Texas bubble gum-flavored Big Red was the all time nadir.

Then I moved overseas and met "Bon Bon Anglais" a carbonated banana monstrosity.  It looks innocuous enough, clear like Sprite and has a vague coconut aroma.  One sip and I look like I'm drinking scotch.

How about you? Is there a diet drink that distresses your taste buds? A flavor that makes you shudder?

• Haha 1

I know it's a heinous rejection of my ethnic heritage (and I hesitate calling it the worst ever), but I could never wrap my taste buds around Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray.

• Like 2

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Orange soda and Mountain Dew are fit only for teenagers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Orange soda and Mountain Dew are fit only for teenagers.

Yes, but Mountain Dew has serious caffeine.

Cream soda knocks me sick 🤢 

Toni Col is a Mexican vanilla flavored soda that is so sweet my teeth ache just typing the name of it.  It is one of those things that I keep getting sucked into in the hopes I will like it "this time'.  Usually I love all things vanilla, but  love eludes me with this.    I don't care for sodas in general. To me, bubbles belong in champagne, and nothing else.  

• Like 1

I really don't mind most any kind of soda, I love carbonation.  However, I do not like Dr. Pepper which tastes like cough syrup.  I also don't like diet tonic water.

Irn-Bru is pretty vile.  So why do I keep buying it whenever I am in Scotland...?

• Haha 1

Just now, Meanderer said:

Irn-Bru is pretty vile.  So why do I keep buying it whenever I am in Scotland...?

Used to love it. Can’t stand it now. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Meanderer said:

What flavor is Irn-Bru trying to replicate? Is it marketed to children or adults?

2 hours ago, fondue said:

What flavor is Irn-Bru trying to replicate? Is it marketed to children or adults?

Rusty iron.  I drank it as a child.  

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, &roid said:

Cream soda knocks me sick 🤢 

This.

I cannot stand the taste of it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver