• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capitale

Rail Paul

Any word on when this restaurant will be opening?

130 Bowery is the address

Thanks

From what I hear they should have opened allready,

When I went for an interview there in october they needed someone to start right away and I could not ,

they have had some private parties since then. And keep saying there opening any day

the inside and the kitchens are real nice ...

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

• 5 months later...

I was at Capitale, last night. My family rented the back room for a small gathering (22 people) arrival time was 8:00 PM - the main room of this former bank was slow to fill, by 10:30 or so, lively and by 12:30 still active.

A 90 minute cocktail "hour" offered coconut chicken with a light garlic - asian dipping sauce, a toast topped with sliced beef and bleu cheese was delicate, balanced and delicious, the staff needs polishing, roaming a very large room, it was not hard to find a cluster of martini drinkers, yet it was difficult to sample the offerings.

Bread offerings were outstanding : a chewy sourdough, a salty olive, and a crusty earthy whole wheat -

As a first course, I had the prosciutto wrapped around lump crab, served over a pure of asparagus, with crisp, paper thin slices of wtermellon - colors and flavors worked.

My husband had the salmon, with baby asparagus and I regeret I did not sample his before devouring mine!

My main course was hake, broiled with baby thin string beans, the husband had steak - nothing different or unusual, fine cut, cooked to personal taste.

Dessert was a triangle plate of vanilla homemade icecream, chocolate truffle and chocolate mousse - outstanding.

Water options were flat or sparking, and I regeret not paying attention to the wine, but after 2 watermellon martini's and a very long day, I am almost sorry I began this absent minded recount...

Bottom line, after cocktails, the service picked up. The food was not unique but presentation was noted, and texture and taste divine.

The building is beautiful, the rooms large making accustics somewhat annoying.

I can't comment on price, as our menus did not provide "numbers" for a small private party, it was a lovely event.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Very recent! The third week in June, my sister and her sister-in-law were still not sure of a location (NYC or NJ) so, the menu and room were agreed upon, the week of the 15th. The dinner was the 27th.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 1 year later...

I played a wedding reception there once. Yes, indeed, a beautiful old landmarked classic savings bank building. You wanna know something funny, though? The former bank vault was being used by the staff to store their uniforms!

Michael aka "Pan"

I mentioned this to my sister, since she is planning a fundraiser there in early May. We knew that the restaurant closed, but that the catering and event part is still in business.

Anyway, she had a meeting with the event planners at Capitale yesterday afternoon, and since I told her about this thread, she asked them and according to them, they are still doing events there and have no plans of shutting that down.

Hopefully they will still be around for her event in May!