• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice or no spice in fruit dishes

Margaret Pilgrim

4 hours ago, gulfporter said:

I just got hooked on this a few weeks ago and while was never a fan of adding salt to fruit, these salt-lime-chili crystals are great sprinkled on mango, melons, pineapple and also cukes, jicama, radishes.  Makes the best rim for a tamarind margarita (and probably others).  

tajin.jpg.af6abb0bbc96bb77c220fe1c78f45550.jpg

You read my mind as I scrolled down to post the same.  Very Mexican to hit fruit with chile’ and lime

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

You read my mind as I scrolled down to post the same.  Very Mexican to hit fruit with chile’ and lime

You know Trader Joe's makes a chili lime seasoning?

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You know Trader Joe's makes a chili lime seasoning?

Must put it on my next Trader Joe’s shopping list. My daughter-in-law brought me some after a trip to Texas but it’s pretty old now.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Right now if I'm eating the fruit fresh - straight up, no spices.

If I'm using them in a baked element - this time of year think peach cake, blackberry raspberry cobbler - I still use Johnnybird's toast dope.  Demerara or organic sugar, nutmeg, orange or lemon zest, allspice and whatever else you want to add.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We have a Trader Joe's in Ontario???  Or is this your next trip south?  We have two sets of friends coming from the USA next Thursday.  What should I ask them to bring?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I tend to not like spiced fruit either.  Or too-many-different-strong-tastes together (this is actually true of all dishes, not just fruit dishes). 

But.  Somebody gave me one of those "best recipes" anthologies in, I think, 1999.  Most of the recipes didn't do much of anything for me.

Except for this concept of a watermelon shake with green cardamom.  It was a revelation.

So I guess I'm ok with cardamom.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:11 PM, gulfporter said:

For over a decade we have enjoyed the free spiced jicama sticks that many bars in MX serve (though rarely in our neck of the MXN woods).  I tried at home to replicate them, using lime juice and various spices and never got it right.  A few weeks ago I got a tamarind margarita and the rim had the BEST spice mix...nice salty crunch, some heat and a good sour.  I asked the waiter what he used and he came back with the Tajin jar.  Duh....I have seen it in the spice aisle for years but never knew what it was. 

It is addictive.  We put some on grilled corn on the cob last night and it was fabulous.  

Valentina makes something similar.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

One of the nicest desserts I was ever served was in a tiny restaurant near Perpignan. SW France. It was simple peeled green grapes floating in straight Pernod.

Anise is a spice, innit?

Been waiting all my life for someone to peel me grapes.     Maybe for this, I'll do it myself!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

When I use fruit in salads, I often use a "savory" spice or two -- a little cumin and ancho chile with pineapple, or aleppo pepper with watermelon, or celery seed in a mix of apples, celery and shaved sharp cheddar. In desserts, I tend to like a little spice since without it the dessert can just seem unrelentingly sweet. But I do agree that it's easy to overdo.

• Like 1

Penzeys makes a thing called "pico fruta," apparently some sort of chile-lime seasoning to sprinkle on fruit. I have some, have not yet tried it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com