• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

For over a decade we have enjoyed the free spiced jicama sticks that many bars in MX serve (though rarely in our neck of the MXN woods).  I tried at home to replicate them, using lime juice and various spices and never got it right.  A few weeks ago I got a tamarind margarita and the rim had the BEST spice mix...nice salty crunch, some heat and a good sour.  I asked the waiter what he used and he came back with the Tajin jar.  Duh....I have seen it in the spice aisle for years but never knew what it was. 

It is addictive.  We put some on grilled corn on the cob last night and it was fabulous.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

For over  decade we have enjoyed the free spiced jicama sticks that many bars in MX serve.  I tried at home to replicate them, using lime juice and various spices and never got it right.  A few weeks ago I got a tamarind margarita and the rim had the BEST spice mix...nice salty crunch, some heat and a good sour.  I asked the waiter what he used and he came back with the Tajin jar.  Duh....I have seen it in the spice aisle for years but never knew what it was. 

It is addictive.  We put some on grilled corn on the cob last night and it was fabulous.