• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

My mother, who was a girl during WWII but did have easy access to butter, switched to margarine after the war when it was marketed as some sort of luxury food! To this day she still uses it, applied to her toast or bread about half an inch thick! When I stayed with her recently, the first thing I did was buy some butter for my needs.

Still, she has just turned 90 and is fit and well. It must be all the preservatives!

liuzhou

liuzhou

My mother, who was a girl during WWII but did have easy access to butter, swirtched to margarine after the wall when it was marketed as some sort of luxury food! To this day she still uses it, applied to her toast or bread about half an inch thick! When I stayed with her recently, the fiirst thing I did was buy some butter for my needs.

Still, she has just turned 90 and is fit and well. It must be all the preservatives!