• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

REPORT: An eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

@gfron1 We are on the yellow happiness floor: here’s a shot of the room...

F02D8C00-7AE3-414C-A6E2-2A73EA4DBE81.jpeg

The hotel is great: there is art everywhere. I guess there is a concert tonight, plus a wedding, so the rooftop bar was packed. We may have enjoyed some tequila cocktails 🍸 up there. 

• Like 10

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

13 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I just checked: the eyes are open on both sides. Always watching you.

Creepy! Where does one hide the pillows so you can sleep?

• Haha 4

We began with a very dessert-like course of pickled strawberry, yogurt ice cream, and a cherry amazake sphere.

DSC_1459.jpg

Rob promised that this was the only course he was going to give instructions with: that amazake sphere is white chocolate filled with a liquid, so you had to eat the whole thing at once. The splash of liquid was somehow surprising even knowing it was coming.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

The "menu"was projected onto the wall: no real indication of the order of things, but at least it helped me remember what it was I was eating at any given time! By and large the dishes were quite sophisticated, so it was a challenge to keep track of what all was on the plate.

DSC_1469.jpg

• Like 9

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

And here are the pies: the gluten version had filling of charred greens, and was served with a cherry mostarda. Individually each component was good, but it was together that they really shone. This course was definitely a case where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

DSC_1487.jpg

The gluten-free version of this course was chickpea-based, and didn't have the greens in the filling:

DSC_1492.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Delivered to the table looking like this:

DSC_1540.jpg

Opening:

DSC_1545.jpg

To reveal an acorn donut with turnips, a white chocolate mashed potato, a black walnut pickling liquid (I think?) and charred chard (I think). This was the most unexpected success of the evening, In my opinion. Individually the components were not all that impressive, but taken together they packed a powerful and complex flavor that worked on a number of different levels, and changed with each bite.

DSC_1547.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We are in the midwest, after all, so even a many-course meal like this does ultimately crescendo to an entree, in this case an incredible pork coppa (fresh, not cured) served alongside a ragout of wheat berries, millet, and husk cherries. As good as the pork was, the grain medley stole the show.

DSC_1570.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Just sick I had to leave early. Crisis at home successfully resolved, but I'd much rather have been up there with y'all!

At least I did get one excellent meal, at Vicia, although I know Bulrush would have topped it. 

• Sad 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com