• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Will sous vide korean spicy chicken with onions, potatoes work?

torolover

I'm thinking of making Korean Spicy Chicken but sous vide all the ingredients in 1 ziplock.

I will put chicken thigh, onions, garlic, soy sauce, Kochujung, sugar, and potatoes and Sous vide for 165 for 1 hour.

I know the chicken thigh will be good, but will the onions and potatoes give an off flavor?   I'm guessing 165F is too low for onion and potatoes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I don't think even a long time at 165 will cook potatoes. 185 F sticks in my mind as the minimum for potatoes and onions. Might even be 190.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

The onion, soy & other ingredients probably wont combine the same as they do in a Wok or high heat. The sugars will probably not change to the caramels that happen at high heat.

You could partially cook the potato, onions & flavors on the stove top, cool them and then add the result to chicken thighs  in the ziplock. bags and SV as normal.

Its probably not going to taste the same as you remember though. Its likely to be a trial and error thing

• Like 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

44 minutes ago, Bernie said:

The onion, soy & other ingredients probably wont combine the same as they do in a Wok or high heat. The sugars will probably not change to the caramels that happen at high heat.

You could partially cook the potato, onions & flavors on the stove top, cool them and then add the result to chicken thighs  in the ziplock. bags and SV as normal.

Its probably not going to taste the same as you remember though. Its likely to be a trial and error thing

Partially Cooking potatoes won't work. A 165 SV won't finish them. It needs to get them to 190. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Potatoes are infuriating.

They look like they should cook in no time.

Grr, at this moment I am waiting for the forking potatoes to cook before finishing the rest of dinner.

I was about to write that you are dining late but then I remembered the three hour time difference.

• Haha 3

Yup, on the table at 6 pm...usually we eat later but watching cfl....bbq’ing at the half.

Those little forking potatoes were finally done...CSO.

back to the topic.  I think sous vide is ideal for single items.  Chicken OR potatoes.  KISS

I use my rig for meat mainly.  I am not a fan of sv veg....they seem a little ‘old’ to me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

back to the topic.  I think sous vide is ideal for single items.  Chicken OR potatoes.  KISS

I use my rig for meat mainly.  I am not a fan of sv veg....they seem a little ‘old’ to me.

Yup. Exc maybe asparagus. 

• Like 2

I don't get the point of Sous vide vegetables. Easier, and faster to just steam them. I suggest steaming to Al Dente, then add to the chicken and set the sous vide to 150F. The vegatables are not going to turn to mush in the 2 hours or less it takes to sous vide chicken.

Just my 0.2 cents

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1