Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommended Posts

As a flea market and garage sale junkie, I come across quite wonderful kitchen tools at give-away prices.     Professional mandolins fall into this category, as they are too complicated and limited in appeal for dealers to fool with them, and non-cooks who received them as gifts usually toss them along with that other workhorse, the food mill.     Over the years I have owned probably a half dozen really good German and French mandolins.    I lovingly bring them home, pet them, talk to them and put them away.     Once I left one out on the counter for months, thinking that would encourage me to use it.    Uh, uh.   Fortunately I have a friend who has a used kitchen item shop and she readily buys these from me at multiples of what I paid and still finds good mark up.

 

Finally I discovered the Japanese ceramic hand held mandolin.    I have collected several, one is adjustable for 4 thicknesses.    These gadgets are so, so easy to grab and use that I am sure that I use one or another several times a day.    They rinse clean in seconds, have no parts and store standing in a corner or in the country I have a high hook, above child or clumsy civilian height, where one hangs.   

 

I can't recommend more strongly.    This guy is a oaf but he does show the product well.

 

  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hate those things. They scare the crap out of me. The only time I used one, I sliced a hunk off of my thumb. It's been 30+ years since I've cut myself with a knife and I good enough with it that I don't need one of those thumb guillotines. 

 


Edited by chileheadmike Edit cuz I can't spel. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have the Kyocera adjustable mandoline. Works a treat.

  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sliced my finger the first time I used it. I got the Swimar Borne V slicer bc Cooks Illustrated recommended it. 

 

I don't like using it bc the veggie / potato gets jammed in the slicer 

 

so I have to use a super amount of force and then it pushes through but explodes all over the floor 

 

and it's super scary and unsafe besides being clunky and not convenient 

 

maybe I'll try the Japanese one instead of this 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=v+slicer&qid=1562965403&s=gateway&sr=8-3


"Hmmm....what would Don Quixote do?" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love my inexpensive Japanese one

 

https://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BR-11-E-Japanese-Vegetable-Slicer/dp/B000BI8EDG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2ZIMOAB8D3AH1&keywords=benriner+mandoline+slicer&qid=1562968313&s=gateway&sprefix=benriner%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-3

 

In the summer I like to make salads with lots of thinly sliced raw vegetables - carrot, zucchini, fennel, celery, etc, this makes it super easy.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a random handful of cheapies that I use for various things (each one has a thing or two I prefer it for) but the one I use most is a handheld, adjustable "Kobra" by de Buyer. The guard is actually functional, the blade is continuously adjustable through a pretty wide range of thicknesses, and the blade is very sharp. A quick rinse, air-dry, and it's back in the box (yeah, I'm the guy who keeps the boxes).


"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Love my inexpensive Japanese one

 

https://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BR-11-E-Japanese-Vegetable-Slicer/dp/B000BI8EDG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2ZIMOAB8D3AH1&keywords=benriner+mandoline+slicer&qid=1562968313&s=gateway&sprefix=benriner%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-3

 

In the summer I like to make salads with lots of thinly sliced raw vegetables - carrot, zucchini, fennel, celery, etc, this makes it super easy.

 

 

I have the same one. Works just fine, fits in a shallow drawer, and doesn't look like a tool of the inquisition. Admittedly I don't use it very often; my knife skills are decent and I'm very lazy. I got it after giving away my expensive deBuyer contraption (purchased on eBay) that came in what looked like a saxophone case. I used it once. I can thin-slice a cucumber by hand in half the time it took to set that sucker up. The lucky recipient of the giveaway was over the moon about it and I haven't heard whether he still has ten fingers. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple mandolins; one is an expensive one from about 20 years ago that is heavy and scary to use, the other is a plastic v- slicer that I like, in fact I’m using it this evening to make potatoes au gratin.  I always use a no-cut glove with it but those things are no guarantee that you won't get hurt, I know that from experience.  I got a bone bruise and a bad cut when using it to slice up a big rutabaga that required quite a bit of force to cut through.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also had a Benriner for years, and love it, though I don't use it every day. Apparently they've just released a new version with a much improved hand guard (to call the old one an afterthought would be undue praise) and a few improved features. Wirecutter picked it as #1 in a recent comparison test; I have to say I'm tempted by the new design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 6:49 PM, lindag said:

I have a couple mandolins; one is an expensive one from about 20 years ago that is heavy and scary to use, the other is a plastic v- slicer that I like, in fact I’m using it this evening to make potatoes au gratin.  I always use a no-cut glove with it but those things are no guarantee that you won't get hurt, I know that from experience.  I got a bone bruise and a bad cut when using it to slice up a big rutabaga that required quite a bit of force to cut through.

Nearly took the tip of my right index finger off with the Benriner. My fault.  No glove and had a drink or two before prepping dinner and was slicing cooked beets paper thin.   Still have reduced feeling in that finger tip and some phantom soreness.   I do wear a glove every time I use a mandolin these days.  Not full proof but reduces the odds when drinking full proof spirits 🤣

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Bron.  It doesn't spend time out on the counter, but is readily accessible and gets used when I want to make something like a Vietnamese salad that requires julienned stuff.  So much easier to put on the kevlar glove and push a couple big carrots and a daikon through the mandoline rather than playing fussy knife skills games on unwieldy round objects.


Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Nearly took the tip of my right index finger off with the Benriner. My fault.  No glove and had a drink or two before prepping dinner and was slicing cooked beets paper thin.   Still have reduced feeling in that finger tip and some phantom soreness.   I do wear a glove every time I use a mandolin these days.  Not full proof but reduces the odds when drinking full proof spirits 🤣

 

 

 

Who among us has not learned both of those mandoline lessons?

 

I'd add don't use a mandoline while another person is jabbering at you

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I do wear a glove every time I use a mandolin these days.

 

That is my rule as well.   Mandoline out: glove on!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just gave away my Borner mandoline, I found it too complex and intimidating and always used my antique Cuisinart instead. Just bought myself one of those lovely simple Benriners that I think I'll use more frequently, with my non-cut glove. (My old Oxo worked perfectly for about 15 years but the blade loss its sharpness and they changed the design so I couldn't get a new blade, sigh....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gfweb said:

 

I'd add don't use a mandoline while another person is jabbering at you

 

This is why mine gets little use! Of course I learned the lesson the hard way. Wine may also have played a role in the lesson. 

  • Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, joancassell said:

I just gave away my Borner mandoline, I found it too complex and intimidating and always used my antique Cuisinart instead. Just bought myself one of those lovely simple Benriners that I think I'll use more frequently, with my non-cut glove. (My old Oxo worked perfectly for about 15 years but the blade loss its sharpness and they changed the design so I couldn't get a new blade, sigh....)

 

The Benriners are my go to  as well.   I think I put my big stainless steal device in an out of the way cupboard 


Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one similar to this.  I like it just fine and have, so far, used it safely (touch wood).  It has a nice storage case and I get it out when I've got a LOT of slicing to do or when it is imperative that I slice very finely and evenly.  What I'd love to find is something that I keep hearing I should be able to find in any Asian shop that sells kitchen supplies and haven't yet - I want a small, fixed blade slicer that would slice very, very thin slices of things about as wide as a cucumber and radish.  I slice both of them almost daily and I especially love paper thin radish slices.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kim Shook I'm not a mandolin person and I have all my toes.  But I do own a Cuisipro box grater with a fixed blade that I find works well for cucumber.  Possibly not as thin as you might like.  Then again I have several slicing blades for my Cuisinart, starting I believe as small as 1 mm.  But as I get older using the Cuisinart for slicing scares me more and more.  And invariably the Cuisinart slices are uneven.

 

I'm still searching for a method of slicing Spanish chorizo that does not involve the emergency room.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Kim Shook I'm not a mandolin person and I have all my toes.  But I do own a Cuisipro box grater with a fixed blade that I find works well for cucumber.  Possibly not as thin as you might like.  Then again I have several slicing blades for my Cuisinart, starting I believe as small as 1 mm.  But as I get older using the Cuisinart for slicing scares me more and more.  And invariably the Cuisinart slices are uneven.

 

I'm still searching for a method of slicing Spanish chorizo that does not involve the emergency room.

 

I've decided that I might be too old for my Cuisinart.  It is SO freaking heavy.  And I don't have any where to store it but the attic.  So most of the time, I just use something else.  I only use it when Mr. Kim can get it for me.  If that man leaves me, I'll never cook again - too much of my crap is inaccessible in the attic.  😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've decided that I might be too old for my Cuisinart.  It is SO freaking heavy.  And I don't have any where to store it but the attic.  So most of the time, I just use something else.  I only use it when Mr. Kim can get it for me.  If that man leaves me, I'll never cook again - too much of my crap is inaccessible in the attic.  😉

 

My Cuisinart still has a place on the counter but I'm not sure how much longer I can justify it.  The last time I used the Cuisinart I wish I hadn't.

 

I don't have an attic.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...