• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Registry

gfweb

Our son is getting married in 10 months or so. (wonderful woman, we love her).

Their first apartment will have a city-sized kitchen about the size of @weinoo's

He is a decent cook and wants to do more as time permits. He already has an Anova and a Breville Smart Oven and a decent chef's knife.

What are your suggestions for registry items?

• Like 2

Does he have a serious battery of pots and pans.    Our d-i-l originally said she had enough for starters but when pushed to list in a registry selected a range of All-Clad that will last essentially a lifetime.     Your d-i-l's may prefer another brand but something that will last is always a good investment.    (I hate to give good wine glasses!)

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

My feeling about sets is that they are overwhelming and that not every size pot and pan is most useful made from the same material. Also those getting married these days have been living together or on their own for a while and usually have an eclectic collection and a few favorites. I'm also not enamored with appliances as gifts unless requested. Here's my absurd bias: the most useful pot is a 5 or 6 qt. enameled cast iron dutch oven. I like the 5.5 qt Le Creuset. And they are aesthetically appealing. If the couple  doesn't have such a thing already it's a workhorse with a relatively long life and....colorful!

• Like 5

I've seen wedding registries that include "experience" gifts like trips so things like cooking classes, wine tasting trips, etc. might be a fun option.  

Or gift certificates to a gourmet grocery or a place like Eataly. 

• Like 3

Bron Mandolin

Cuisineart spice grinder

Vita-mix

Chinois strainer

Larchwood chopping block. https://www.larchwoodcanada.com/

knife steel

immersion blender

food mill

pasta maker and Mastering Pasta by M. Vetri 

Modernist Cuisine at Home

Unicorn peppermill. https://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Magnum-Plus-Pepper-Black/dp/B0000CFB4N/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_79_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJPA00105YJH1DA1F99E

All Clad double boiler

Phillips Air Fryer

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My feeling about sets is that they are overwhelming and that not every size pot and pan is most useful made from the same material. Also those getting married these days have been living together or on their own for a while and usually have an eclectic collection and a few favorites. I'm also not enamored with appliances as gifts unless requested. Here's my absurd bias: the most useful pot is a 5 or 6 qt. enameled cast iron dutch oven. I like the 5.5 qt Le Creuset. And they are aesthetically appealing. If the couple  doesn't have such a thing already it's a workhorse with a relatively long life and....colorful!

Absolutely agree that "sets", as presented by manufacturer or retailer, are neither efficiently useful nor a good value.    What I was suggesting was a carefully and personally selected group of cookware in varying sizes and shapes.     I would add some Staub enameled cast iron.    Hopefully someone in the family has some old Griswald or Wagner cast iron skillets to contribute; far superior to new.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

There's always the dutch oven in 4qt and 7qt sizes 

but the Breville Control Freak would be pretty cool - though pricey 

I thought the Control Freak was unnecessary for the 1st month I had it but it makes things so much easier for poaching chicken breasts, poaching fish, making caramel, sweating garlic without burning etc. that I think I would buy it again 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kayb said:

Darto paella pan. It works for a bazillion different things. I dearly love mine.

As much as I love my Darto the wedding is in only 10 months.  Better start planning for a future anniversary.  Seriously, at the moment all but the 15 cm and 25 cm are out of stock.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I love the Charles Viancin silicone lids for bowls, pots.....etc.

A bunch of the flexible cutting mats and maybe a really good wood cutting board would be nice and useful.

I love my Zojirushi hot water dispenser, it felt like a luxury to order it, but now it is a default part of the kitchen.

• Like 1

I'm not going to give specifics. But instead, I'll suggest that the registry include both big-ticket items and the little things. I'm aware that a wedding is supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime affair. But I've gotten frustrated when a friend or relative made out their registry list and included mostly the dream-type items, none of which would fit into my budget, or in one case, into the budget of myself and my sister put together. (It looked like there had been a few less expensive items, which were snapped up quickly by others.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

11 hours ago, MelissaH said:

I'm not going to give specifics. But instead, I'll suggest that the registry include both big-ticket items and the little things. I'm aware that a wedding is supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime affair. But I've gotten frustrated when a friend or relative made out their registry list and included mostly the dream-type items, none of which would fit into my budget, or in one case, into the budget of myself and my sister put together. (It looked like there had been a few less expensive items, which were snapped up quickly by others.)

I recently learned that Amazon, at least, has a way out of the big-ticket-item problem: it's possible to contribute to a wedding registry item without buying the whole thing. So, for instance, some of my family members have registered for swank china and crystal. Some items say "$xx needed for this" and a button that says "contribute".

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I recently learned that Amazon, at least, has a way out of the big-ticket-item problem: it's possible to contribute to a wedding registry item without buying the whole thing. So, for instance, some of my family members have registered for swank china and crystal. Some items say "$xx needed for this" and a button that says "contribute".

I saw that option a couple of months ago when I was trying to buy a present for someone.  My question is, what happens if they don't get enough contributions to buy the item?  Maybe Amazon turns the money into a gift card?

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I saw that option a couple of months ago when I was trying to buy a present for someone.  My question is, what happens if they don't get enough contributions to buy the item?  Maybe Amazon turns the money into a gift card?

That's a very good question. I wondered the same thing, but since I'm probably going to buy a solid "something" instead of contributing I probably won't research it. Maybe someone else here knows?

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

I always gotta look things up.  From Amazon's Wedding registry FAQ:

About Group Gifting

Customers can now mark items on their registry for Group Gifting, enabling friends and family to contribute any amount of their choosing towards high-value items.

All Group Gift contributions are in the form of Amazon electronic gift cards and can be redeemed to the registry owner's Amazon.com Gift Card balance.

Amazon.com Gift Cards can't be transferred to another account. 

Amazon.com Gift Cards aren't returnable or refundable, except as required by law.

• Thanks 1

Henkel steak knives. 

China? It can be easily stored. 

New silverware? I registered for Henkels and love them. 

Wine glasses? 

I registered and received everyday Villeroy and Bosh service for 12, the aforementioned silverware, personalized China, Riedel wine glasses... but we lived in a large-ish townhome. 

We use our electric fondue pot but I’ve never used my panini press, my 7qt Cuisanart, my pizza stones or my Kitchen Aid mixer but I’m a shitty cook. 

• Like 1