• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2020

Kerry Beal

@patris I think @RobertM arranged the Buffalo chocolate factory tour at Landies Candies when it was included in one of the NOTL eGullet Chocolate & Confectinery Workshops. It was an amazing behind-the-scenes tour. Perhaps Bob would be willing to share with you how he made that happen.  Also, I love the idea of a tour of a production chocolate factory in Buffalo.

19 minutes ago, curls said:

@patris I think @RobertM arranged the Buffalo chocolate factory tour at Landies Candies when it was included in one of the NOTL eGullet Chocolate & Confectinery Workshops. It was an amazing behind-the-scenes tour. Perhaps Bob would be willing to share with you how he made that happen.  Also, I love the idea of a tour of a production chocolate factory in Buffalo.

I hadn't thought of Landies - I will reach out to them!

• Like 1

Patty

Quick update on tours: Fowlers does not do tours outside of one per year in October, for which they charge admission (the proceeds go to charity). Watsons does not do tours at all. Still waiting to hear back from Landies, but Platters does factory tours by appointment for groups of 20 or larger. I am in the "trading voicemails" stage with their person, and am hoping they might make an exception if Landies falls through and our group is smaller than 20.

Patty

Thank you so much for doing this! I hope I didn't open a can of worms, seems like a lot of work, i was hoping for more flexibility from those companies, but i understand that tours cut into production and health codes and all.

Thank you again for looking into all of these options!

• Like 1

Vanessa

On 3/8/2020 at 10:52 PM, Kerry Beal said:

MA Chinese Cuisine. Bring your passports as you'll have to cross the border of course to have dinner there. 

Looking forward to finally meeting you after knowing you virtually all this time.

Me too! You have been the glue of everything here on Egullet and the source and inspiration of many delightful projects.

We will be driving through Canada from GR, fastest way to Buffalo.

• Like 1

Vanessa

1 hour ago, Desiderio said:

Thank you so much for doing this! I hope I didn't open a can of worms, seems like a lot of work, i was hoping for more flexibility from those companies, but i understand that tours cut into production and health codes and all.

Thank you again for looking into all of these options!

No trouble at all!

Patty

Sorry for the delayed response.

I called Landies and spoke to the owner, explained who we were and how we would appreciate a tour....they were happy to do it, and I agree, it was a great tour!  

• Like 3

Everytime I read about the workshop, I wish I could come! This year is out for me, but can someone answer some questions for me?  Seems like the location of the workshop changes as I’ve seen postings from years past from different areas. Is there some kind is schedule? When are the dates decided for the next year? Generally what is the cost to attend? I think I saw somewhere that there is a basic fee then an additional masters class fee for those who want to participate in that. 

I’m doing a lot of reading and learning from the forum - its so helpful. I’m in a stage where I don’t have lots of time to actually experiment but I’m moving along slowly but surely.  I’d love to add a future workshop to my plans.  

Has there been any discussion about cancelling this year due to COVID-19? Although I do plan to wait before making a decision, the CDC is recommending cancelling unnecessary travel. I think it is something we need to at least be talking about. We are less than 2 weeks behind Italy in the trajectory of the disease.

1 hour ago, tikidoc said:

Has there been any discussion about cancelling this year due to COVID-19? Although I do plan to wait before making a decision, the CDC is recommending cancelling unnecessary travel. I think it is something we need to at least be talking about. We are less than 2 weeks behind Italy in the trajectory of the disease.

Part of the reason I’m so far behind in the planning of this years workshop is that I’m squarely in the middle of all the Covid discussion and planning around the the Shelter Health population for which I serve as the lead physician. 

I had set an alarm for a Zoom meeting that I had around Covid yesterday afternoon - unfortunately it went off at 4:50 this am! I awoke with the same thought about the workshop far too early this am. 

I will continue with planning but we will need to monitor the situation and be prepared to cancel if it seems the right decision.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GRiker said:

Everytime I read about the workshop, I wish I could come! This year is out for me, but can someone answer some questions for me?  Seems like the location of the workshop changes as I’ve seen postings from years past from different areas. Is there some kind is schedule? When are the dates decided for the next year? Generally what is the cost to attend? I think I saw somewhere that there is a basic fee then an additional masters class fee for those who want to participate in that. 

I’m doing a lot of reading and learning from the forum - its so helpful. I’m in a stage where I don’t have lots of time to actually experiment but I’m moving along slowly but surely.  I’d love to add a future workshop to my plans.  

Yes the location changes from year to year. 2008 when we started Niagara College in Niagara on the lake Ontario was the site. We were there for a couple of years, then Washington, Las Vegas, Toronto, St. Louis - Interspersed with Niagara on the lake every few years.  

We tend to pick a date in May, it’s often the May 24 weekend. We need to be after Easter and Mother’s Day.

In the past as I recall, I can’t find my records right now it’s been around $200-$225 a person (we share the costs) And whatever we have to charge for the masters classes depending on what we are teaching. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:20 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Part of the reason I’m so far behind in the planning of this years workshop is that I’m squarely in the middle of all the Covid discussion and planning around the the Shelter Health population for which I serve as the lead physician. 

I had set an alarm for a Zoom meeting that I had around Covid yesterday afternoon - unfortunately it went off at 4:50 this am! I awoke with the same thought about the workshop far too early this am. 

I will continue with planning but we will need to monitor the situation and be prepared to cancel if it seems the right decision.

Any update? I’m assuming it is called off or potentially delayed, as I cannot see it being safe or advisable to travel any time soon.

I think we can safely say that it will almost inevitably be canceled. If it sounds like I’m waffling I guess I am, but my gut tells me a week from now I am going to clearly say no way Jose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks for everything @Kerry Beal! Instead of cancelling can we say that we are postponing till May 2021!? 

Hopefully everyone one can get their monies refunded. Stay well and I hope to see everyone at the 2021 Chocolate & Confections workshop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I agree, we are just postponing it :-)

Sadly I did finally cancelled my airbnb reservation.

Stay healthy and sane everyone, yes I meant sane, kids home from school, spouses working at home, its going to be challenging 😜

Vanessa

Safe to say we are are cancelled/postponed. 

Anyone with hotel reservations should cancel them.

We will start planning next year early!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would have been driving up to Buffalo.... @Kerry Beal you definitely made the right call to cancel this year's workshop. Hopefully we will be able to get together next year. Missing all of my chocolatier friends and the pre-COVID-19 world!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, curls said:

I would have been driving up to Buffalo.... @Kerry Beal you definitely made the right call to cancel this year's workshop. Hopefully we will be able to get together next year. Missing all of my chocolatier friends and the pre-COVID-19 world!

Indeed - my calendar just reminded me today that my hotel reservation was waiting for me!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Indeed - my calendar just reminded me today that my hotel reservation was waiting for me!

Uh oh! I hope you cancelled that reservation and just didn’t delete the reminder.

• Like 1