• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2020

Kerry Beal

20 minutes ago, Sue PEI said:

Is the panning workshop still on the agenda?  

I believe I lost the agenda I had in the great data loss of 2019. 

If anyone has e-mails I sent them about proposed agenda I'd appreciate them sending it along so we can reconstruct. 

I know on the Friday class we have Mark Heim doing a couple of things that he and I have been discussing - French creams possibly, laminations and those wonderful Joseph Schmidt bowls (anyone remember those from the very first workshop?)

I think Saturday am Brian was going to do a brief one shot demo?

On 2/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, MelissaH said:

Will anyone who is coming to the workshop in Buffalo be driving there across the NY State Thruway (I-90) with an extra seat in the car? There are a number of convenient meeting places at various exits in the Syracuse area (from I-481, exit 34A, over to Weedsport, exit 40). Or if you're taking the scenic route, NY 104 along the south shore of Lake Ontario, that goes right through my hometown.

My husband, who some of you may remember from the last workshop at Niagara College, would like to come to the dinner on Saturday night. He won't be able to attend the Saturday workshop because he needs to attend the university commencement exercises Saturday morning, a 2.5 hour drive away. We're a one-car family, so if I drive myself over on Friday, my husband has no way to get there for dinner. So I could either drive over with my husband for the Saturday night dinner (only) or to catch a ride over with someone who will be passing through so I can participate more fully, and my husband will come when the ceremonies are done and join us all for dinner. Or I could take a train, but that's less easy if I want to bring a box of tools with me. The Exchange St station is right around the corner from the hotel, and there are 3 trains that are scheduled to get there from Syracuse on Friday. One of them might even get me into town early enough to join you all for dinner that night! But given a choice, I'd rather ride with a friend or three than with a few hundred people I don't know. 😀 In any case, my husband and I would stay over Saturday night after dinner and drive ourselves home Sunday, so if I use one of your car seats on the way over, you could use it on the way home to hold all your chocolates and any other purchases.

I don't currently plan to do the master classes, so a ride on Friday would be my preference. I do know Buffalo reasonably well, and can navigate you to the hotel.

Let me know if I might fit into your travel plans, please!

Hi there Melissa!  I will be passing through Syracuse on my way. Happy to share the ride!

Edited by Audrey Brown (log)
  • Like 1

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Sue PEI and Jane 

Gwbyls

Desiderio

curls

JoNorvelleWalker (we will find a way)

Haley

Diana D

DayGameCandy

Marmish +1 (maybe)

Miriam G (tentative)

david.upchurch

SweetandSnappyJen

Valerie B

Audrey Brown 

Anniebakes

jedovaty (tentative)

*God's willing and the river don't rise

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Sue PEI and Jane 

Gwbyls

Desiderio

curls

Haley

Diana D

DayGameCandy

Marmish +1 (Dani)

Miriam G (tentative)

david.upchurch

SweetandSnappyJen

Valerie B

Audrey Brown 

Anniebakes

jedovaty (tentative)

Is now an appropriate time for me to ask whether Paula's Donuts could be a part of breakfast on a day when I'm there to take advantage of them?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

36 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Is now an appropriate time for me to ask whether Paula's Donuts could be a part of breakfast on a day when I'm there to take advantage of them?

Tell me more - I'm sure we could sort something.

Paula’s is 10 minutes from my house; I’d be happy to pick them up. For those who are unfamiliar, Paula’s makes extremely... substantial donuts. Lots of flavors, great quality, always fresh.

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 3

Patty

On 2/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, patris said:

Paula’s is 10 minutes from my house; I’d be happy to pick them up. For those who are unfamiliar, Paula’s makes extremely... substantial donuts. Lots of flavors, great quality, always fresh.

@Kerry Beal, we really must acquaint you with Paula's donuts. They're amazingly good even when you pick up a box of them at 6 PM, just before you drive home, mostly to eat the next morning. (And if you ever need to eat them in the car, I recommend a glazed cruller, because it's delicious and there's nothing that is likely to drip off the donut and into your lap or the cracks of the car.)

@patris, let me know how I can help you make this happen!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

@Kerry Beal, we really must acquaint you with Paula's donuts. They're amazingly good even when you pick up a box of them at 6 PM, just before you drive home, mostly to eat the next morning. (And if you ever need to eat them in the car, I recommend a glazed cruller, because it's delicious and there's nothing that is likely to drip off the donut and into your lap or the cracks of the car.)

@patris, let me know how I can help you make this happen!

just let me know your favorite flavors (knowing they don’t always have everything) and I will do the rest! My house is equidistant from Tomric in the opposite direction from the hotel so I will pick them up one or the other morning on my way to Tomric.

oh yeah - @Kerry Beal I should probably ask you to put my sister Chris and me on the list!

• Like 1

Patty

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Sue PEI and Jane 

Gwbyls

Desiderio

curls

Haley

Diana D

DayGameCandy

Marmish +1 (Dani)

Miriam G (tentative)

david.upchurch

SweetandSnappyJen

Valerie B

Audrey Brown 

Anniebakes

jedovaty (tentative)

patris and Chris

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Sue PEI and Jane 

Gwbyls

Desiderio

curls

Haley

Diana D

DayGameCandy

Marmish +1 (Dani)

Miriam G (tentative)

david.upchurch

SweetandSnappyJen

Valerie B

Audrey Brown 

Anniebakes

jedovaty (tentative)

patris and Chris

Metztli 

13 hours ago, Desiderio said:

How and when will the money for the workshop be collected? Sorry this would be my first one, sadly, so I want to make sure I am not missing anything important, as paying on time 😄

It will likely be through a PayPal link - I'm still looking for a 'round tuit' - hoping by the end of this month I'll get things sorted. 

• Like 3

Wondering if we can plan a tour to one of Buffalo famous candy shops/kitchen. Since I have been researching about sponge candy (for work, and I am total novice in that department). I wasn't aware that sponge candy was one of Buffalo specialty ☺️. It would be cool to tour one of the companie's production facility. Just a thought.

Edited by Desiderio (log)
  • Like 1

Vanessa

Booked our stay. My husband will accompany me (if there are no surprise installs or emergencies at work), maybe not for the workshop, but we can still explore the city and make it into our yearly birthday escape. I have booked an Airbnb in Allentown. Also last time we were in St. Catherine we had dim Sum at MA Chinese cusine and I would like to go back, because it was incredible, and I can't find that here.

I am excited to meet all of the wonderful people here, after so many years (I got the pleasure to meet Ruth many years ago in Colorado:-)).

• Like 3

Vanessa

13 hours ago, Desiderio said:

Wondering if we can plan a tour to one of Buffalo famous candy shops/kitchen. Since I have been researching about sponge candy (for work, and I am total novice in that department). I wasn't aware that sponge candy was one of Buffalo specialty ☺️. It would be cool to tour one of the companie's production facility. Just a thought.

I believe that someone organized that tour one year when we were in Niagara and went across and spent the day in Buffalo. I'm sure someone could organize. 

11 hours ago, Desiderio said:

Booked our stay. My husband will accompany me (if there are no surprise installs or emergencies at work), maybe not for the workshop, but we can still explore the city and make it into our yearly birthday escape. I have booked an Airbnb in Allentown. Also last time we were in St. Catherine we had dim Sum at MA Chinese cusine and I would like to go back, because it was incredible, and I can't find that here.

I am excited to meet all of the wonderful people here, after so many years (I got the pleasure to meet Ruth many years ago in Colorado:-)).

MA Chinese Cuisine. Bring your passports as you'll have to cross the border of course to have dinner there. 

Looking forward to finally meeting you after knowing you virtually all this time.

• Like 1

I will look into arranging a factory tour. Fowler’s would be ideal as they are in the same industrial park as Tomric, but I think they only do one tour a year and it’s for charity. I’ll check it out though. I suspect we’d have better luck with another company, Platters, which is a bit north of the city. They have a large production facility and I believe their production area is viewable, so I think a tour would be more in their wheelhouse. They do make sponge candy and other confections on site and have a large enrobing line. Watsons would be another good choice - they are very well known here and also make sponge candy.

Any sense of what day/rough time frame would be right?

Edited by patris (log)
  • Like 2

Patty