• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2020

Kerry Beal

I have confirmed with Tomric in Buffalo that we can hold our workshop in their facility next May - the weekend will be Friday May 15, Sat 16 and Sunday 17th.

Friday Master's classes likely panning for half the day and Mark Heim to teach us something if we can get him to come. Saturday am hoping we can have a quick demo of the one shot depositing - perhaps some info on how to formulate for a one shot depositor. It seems to be the wave of the future so it would be nice to have a clear understanding of how it works even if none of us are in the market for one!

So set aside the date - we can start a list of interested individuals and gradually start working our way towards it.

• Like 4

👋🏽 I’m in. Had a great time with you all this year.

(I’m off to Las Vegas at the end of the month for the class I won with Melissa Coppel & Francisco Migoya. Yay me! 😄)

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, jbates said:

👋🏽 I’m in. Had a great time with you all this year.

(I’m off to Las Vegas at the end of the month for the class I won with Melissa Coppel & Francisco Migoya. Yay me! 😄)

Good choice of class! 

I’m sorry to say I won’t be able to attend the annual workshops anymore as long as it continues to be on the May long weekend- conflicts with new cottage opening weekend. Sorry to miss everyone and the time to experiment. Just thought you should know why I appear to have disappeared. Still chocolate tempering- and now selling a couple of times a year at work. Still active in Facebook.

Just now, ChocolateMom said:

I’m sorry to say I won’t be able to attend the annual workshops anymore as long as it continues to be on the May long weekend- conflicts with new cottage opening weekend. Sorry to miss everyone and the time to experiment. Just thought you should know why I appear to have disappeared. Still chocolate tempering- and now selling a couple of times a year at work. Still active in Facebook.

May have to send your youngest begat!

• Like 1

Add me with an asterisk.

You keep picking graduation weekend, which is also the weekend before the fermentation science class trip (if enough students sign up next year to have the class go). This means my husband will have to be at a commencement ceremony on Saturday morning, and we'll both be trying to pack for the trip. Fortunately for me, if you'll be in Buffalo this year, you'll be in day trip range, so I'm not ruled out completely.

So there are a couple of possibilities. One is that I literally come over alone, stay through dinner on Saturday night, and then head home either immediately after dinner or first thing Sunday morning. The other is that the two of us head to Buffalo after the Saturday commencement and schmoozing, which means we'd get into town mid- to late-afternoon, join you-all for dinner and socializing, and then head home (either immediately after dinner or first thing Sunday morning).

And a totally off-the-wall suggestion: if anyone will be driving across NY to get to Buffalo and has an extra seat in the car, I'd be happy to meet you in the Syracuse area. Then I'd get full workshop time, and my husband would be able to drive our car over to participate in dinner and bring me home.

I'll know by the end of this year whether enough students have signed up for the fermentation class to enable it to run. From everything I've heard, it sounds like the planned destination for the 2020 class is Amsterdam. (Is there a bean-to-bar place there that would be open to a tour of a bunch of university students studying fermentation? Chocolate is fermented, so it's fair game.) Amsterdam is usually a pretty good draw, but in the event that signups are too low, I'd be able to stay through more of Sunday.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

lambrecht gourmet (a definite maybe)

MelissaH*

*God's willing and the river don't rise

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 1

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Sue PEI and Jane 

Attendees

jbates

Chocolot

Pastrypastmidnight

MelissaH*

tikidoc

Chocomonster

Sue PEI and Jane 

Gwbyls

On 7/12/2019 at 1:38 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Saturday am hoping we can have a quick demo of the one shot depositing - perhaps some info on how to formulate for a one shot depositor.

I suggest you to give a look into gianduiotto, it's one of the oldest confections here, never seen named by foreign producers / books / websites. As the name says it's made with gianduja, so it's melt-in-the-mouth delicious!

Originally it was deposited, as you can see in this video:

But nowadays you can buy molds with that shape.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

10 minutes ago, teonzo said:

I suggest you to give a look into gianduiotto, it's one of the oldest confections here, never seen named by foreign producers / books / websites. As the name says it's made with gianduja, so it's melt-in-the-mouth delicious!

Originally it was deposited, as you can see in this video:

But nowadays you can buy molds with that shape.

Teo

Or we can show them "how to get the caramel in the caramilk bar"!  But then we'll have to kill them.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Or we can show them "how to get the caramel in the caramilk bar"!  But then we'll have to kill them.

After the due roasting they would make for a tasty filling for a new bar.

Teo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Teo