• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gout Cookbooks

Orbit

I recently had my first gout attack (ouch!) and was looking at gout cookbooks on Amazon. I wondered if anyone here was similarly afflicted and had recommendations. There were so many I couldn't decide between them!

Ouch, I was prone to it and was allergic to  alopurinal. Doc started me on very small dose and built up from there. Thankfully, I haven't had an attack for 5 years. I used to get it in my ankles and knees. Never in the big toe like most people. At the time, they just gave me a list of things to avoid. Beef, pork, stocks made from either. I remember mushrooms set it off one time. Best of luck, ain't no fun. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I join @chileheadmike in wishing you well.  Fortunately, I am not allergic to alopurinal and carry it with me whenever we go away.  Mine gets me in my big toe.  Strangely, I was never told what not to ingest.  If you see a book on Amazon you are interested in, and post a question about it, my experience is that folks who have bought whatever you want to buy are good at answering.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Orbit and all other gout sufferers - oy - I really feel for you 😦 ... my husband suffers the occasional gout flare up ... I researched foods to death and it seems I often got conflicting information 🤨 ... 

Initially, he was told to drink cranberry juice - well that worked okay - then my sis-in-law ~ God forever love her heart - told her brother No! Drink cherry juice!!! - so ever since - whenever he feels a gout attack come on (or whenever he can’t help himself and has some forbidden seafood 😛 ) - he will drink a couple of glasses of Knudsen Farms Black Cherry Juice - it works very well. ... During the times he has ignored the signs of an upcoming attack and it turns into a full blown attack - he drinks 3-4 glasses and by morning it has settled way down - enough so that he can walk 😄 (it settles in his toe and finger). Hubby does recommend drinking it cold - he says otherwise it kind of tastes - well - not as good as cold 🙃 and he does drink it a few times during the week as sort of “maintenance”.

we don’t use a cookbook for his gout - anymore - he just mostly tries to avoid most of the foods that causes flare ups ... Good luck and HTH! 

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

• 5 months later...

I once made the decision to quit drinking for a year, Two months later Here came gout- go figure.

I read up on the problem and some where and found a  article that touted Tart Cherry juice for relief of gout.  I bought "Knudsen's Just Tart Cherry Juice",

problem gone with one jar.

My soninlaw had flare-ups every few months, he started drinking it every week,gone. read the ingredients list; many others are really apple juice with flavors added.

Good luck

Robert

Seattle