• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about clams and Mirin

Hi

2 noob questions. What is Mirin exactly? I use Marukan seasoned rice vinegar for my sushi which I like. My wife is trying to make a Ramen dish and the recipe calls for Mirin.

What is the difference between my Marukan vinegar and Mirin?

Second question is about clams. I bought some "White cockle clams" to eat as Nigiri in an Asian grocery store. The box says ready to eat. Are they cooked? (I will eat as is but just wondering if I am eating a raw clam).

Thanks a lot

Pat

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

It's a rice wine (as opposed to a vinegar) that's slightly sweet. I always add it in any kind of marinated veggie I'm doing that has rice vinegar and sesame oil. Also put it in fried rice, and lots of different vaguely Asian sauces and marinades.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com