• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta drying rack

Norm Matthews

I saw a pasta drying rack on the internet that used a spiral of arms and thought the bottom few of those would be too close to the table to be useful. I remembered seeing a clothes drying rack at an antique store recently which was missing some arms and  the rest were falling off and so I got it and took it apart and replaced most of the arms with new dowel rods and today used it to dry some egg noodles.  It worked pretty well and I doubt I will ever make enough pasta to use more than four of five of the arms.  When not in use it folds up.

20190706_161101.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have a saw-horse type model that sits on the table,   It has maybe a dozen rods that hang about 18inches off the table top, allowing decent length strands.    There is almost no shedding of pasta bits, so only a fast wipe down is necessary.   

eta, norm's looks fine to me.    Again, just a fast sweep and all's clean again.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

I had a wooden pasta rack with dowels that sat on a table or the counter.  Most of the pasta ended up on the table, counter, or the floor.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have a saw-horse type model that sits on the table,   It has maybe a dozen rods that hang about 18inches off the table top, allowing decent length strands.    There is almost no shedding of pasta bits, so only a fast wipe down is necessary.   

eta, norm's looks fine to me.    Again, just a fast sweep and all's clean again.

I used to have one of those, but it got destroyed in a leaky refrigerator incident. Now I use my long handled pizza peel and just let it stick out off the edge of the counter. I can’t say I’ve ever lost more than a couple scraps using either rack, though.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In my case the pasta would crack at the folded over part.

I don't let mine get that dry, I guess. I'm typically making it basically a la minute: once it's dry-is on the surface I take it off the rack onto a plate that I can dump into the water.

• Like 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

15 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I don't let mine get that dry, I guess. I'm typically making it basically a la minute: once it's dry-is on the surface I take it off the rack onto a plate that I can dump into the water.

What I do now is either dry the pasta on a dishtowel or on a plate, depending on the pasta.  I'm not so much trying to dry the pasta as hold it until I can get it in the water.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This is the first time I have used it and the only time any pieces fell on the floor was when made them too short.  The original rods had stops at both ends but the ones I made were open on the end and when they were dry, they just slid off into a plastic bag I held under them.

• Like 2