• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bumbleberry pie filling not thick enough

Jocelynne

I have made a large batch of Bumbleberry pie filling using cornstarch as the thickener and allowed it to cool for 24 hours but it is not quite thick enough.  Should I just re-heat and add more cornstarch to thicken or is there a better way.

I have used a combination of rhubarb, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries in the mixture.  Some were frozen, some fresh.

3 hours ago, Jocelynne said:

I have made a large batch of Bumbleberry pie filling using cornstarch as the thickener and allowed it to cool for 24 hours but it is not quite thick enough.  Should I just re-heat and add more cornstarch to thicken or is there a better way.

I have used a combination of rhubarb, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries in the mixture.  Some were frozen, some fresh.

If you want to stick to your standard grocery-store starches then I think your only real option is to reheat the filling and add more starch. If you want to go with the Modernist modified starch route, Ultratex 4 is a corn-based cold-swelling starch that is stable at high temperatures (if you are going to be baking this later) that I think will work in this application.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

15 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

If you want to stick to your standard grocery-store starches then I think your only real option is to reheat the filling and add more starch. If you want to go with the Modernist modified starch route, Ultratex 4 is a corn-based cold-swelling starch that is stable at high temperatures (if you are going to be baking this later) that I think will work in this application.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have never heard of Ultra-Tex 4.  Where is it available?

16 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Ultratex 4 is a corn-based cold-swelling starch that is stable at high temperatures

29 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I would also suggest looking at Cornaby's EZ Gel or also Thick Gel

These appear to be pretty much the same thing.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Are you going to bake this filling? I believe that it will weaken the starch, and possibly also the pectin to a lesser degree. Reheating it in order to incorporate more starch will weaken it as well. You might end up having to add quite a bit of starch. 

I think that Jeanne's idea of draining the juice will be best. 

Or you can make it into a crumble (or crisp, etc.) where a loose filling is welcome. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.