• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Correlation between Miracle Whip users and Ketchup users?

Unless it was an unidentifiable ingredient, I have actually never tasted Miracle Whip, nor do I ever want to , based on the aforementioned descriptions.

Hellman's and Duke's are both in the fridge. As is ketchup - Heinz is what I grew up with, although I have moved over to their product labeled as organic; it replaces the HFCS with sugar! God only knows what the product labeled no sugar added tastes like.

We still use ketchup for fries (and yes, cocktail sauce when I make it) or home fries. But mustard or mayo can also be used for fries, depending on where we're eating them (i.e. a French restaurant vs. a diner).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 7/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Anna N said:

Host's note: this innocent-seeming topic was split from Manitoulin -- Life on the Level, to prevent it from permanently derailing the foodblog.

Kerry wants to apply for a government grant to study the correlation between  miracle whip use and ketchup use. Her hypothesis is that people who don’t like miracle whip are the same people who don’t like ketchup on their scrambled egg or grilled cheese sandwiches. Discuss 

A government grant, sure, or perhaps a dissertation. She could supplement her M.D. with a research Ph.D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Since Miracle Whip (in my existence) was always called a "Salad Dressing" even though it had the consistency of Mayo, I guess I miss the reason for the controversy.

We traditionally used it primarily as the base for cole slaw, potato salad, tuna salad, macaroni salad etc.  Many cole slaw recipes made with mayo say add vinegar and sugar and spices to the mayo (so essentially making diy MW).  Google shows potato salad recipes, a fair bit include vinegar and sugar with the mayo.  "Salad Dressing".  Miracle Whip is just that in a jar, mayo with the other stuff pre-mixed in it.   We used it on BLT's and tomato sandwiches exclusively.  I don't use regular mayo on sandwiches, it's mustard or nothing; but that's just me.  I live in a household that likes Hellmann's/Best, but I don't use it.

I eat ketchup ( I pine for the old Ann Page ketchup, I don't know who made it for A&P but it was good) only on fries.  I'm American-style no mayo or ranch please.  Never add it to eggs.  Hot sauce is another thing though, but that started when I moved to the SW.

We did add yellow mustard to potato salad, French's I believe.  I think that's a regional thing.

Now Tartar sauce, ugh, what's up with that stuff?

Edited by lemniscate
hating on tartar (log)

Funny how as I am walking down Costco today, my wife chimes - we need mayo, and my mind jaunts to this thread!  I see 2 options in ginormous format - Hellmans and Kirkland Brand...not having seen the Kirkland brand before, I compared the ingredients (which appear to be nearly identical, though one had water, the other none) and decided to give the Kirkland brand a chance, at 20% cheaper than the name brand.

Oh, and as far as Ketchup goes, we found a new brand a few years ago called 'Simply Organics' which makes the most unreal ketchup we have had!  Ketchup on eggs, meh - Ketchup on Mac & Cheese, often - Ketchup on the side to dip your grilled cheese into - always!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Since Miracle Whip (in my existence) was always called a "Salad Dressing" even though it had the consistency of Mayo, I guess I miss the reason for the controversy.

We traditionally used it primarily as the base for cole slaw, potato salad, tuna salad, macaroni salad etc.  Many cole slaw recipes made with mayo say add vinegar and sugar and spices to the mayo (so essentially making diy MW).  Google shows potato salad recipes, a fair bit include vinegar and sugar with the mayo. 

I would venture to guess that people who (like me) dislike MW also dislike, and don't make, those recipes.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I grew up on MW and always hated Best Foods (aka hellmann's).   So did DH.   As adults we somehow switched and now very much dislike MW, which tastes quite sweet to me.    Catsup is also sweet.   DH likes catsup on fries; I like mayo.

eGullet member #80.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, IowaDee said:

Oh yeah, my hot dog is well dressed.  Mayo ketchup and yellow mustard.....and sweet pickle relish to  mush it all together.  Probably leave

the dog itself out and I wouldn't notice until I'd had several bites.  Joey "Jaws" Chestnut hates me. 'cause he has to eat 'em plain.

I'll see your dog and raise you a dime.    I also add or request lettuce, red onion, chopped tomato, dill chips and jalapeno slices.     in fact, several times at my Sunday market hot dog stand I have ordered it dogless as you suggest.    Very little difference!

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

tomorrow

i plan to motor down to

ALDI

20 + minutes a away

to renew my Yearly Supply of

Mayo

Burman's  

nicely priced

ans Ill pick up some of their fine imported chocolates

Ill post on ALDI

I do have a jug of

A|DI  MiracleWhip

its about a year old  

no sign of Cootiees or other abnormal growth

(  O.o }

so I wont try that again

as I still have some

should I need mayo + seet

Ill add it to this years Mayo Haul.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I grew up on MW and always hated Best Foods (aka hellmann's).   So did DH.   As adults we somehow switched and now very much dislike MW, which tastes quite sweet to me.   

This is what happened to me as well. Our family used MW (and margarine) when I was growing up, and I didn't like mayonnaise then. I'm not sure when my tastes changed, but now I find MW much too sweet. In the last year or two I've also noticed that MW has a peculiar (to me) consistency: smooth with a slimy/slick cohesiveness that mayo does not have. A little MW goes a long way, in both senses of the phrase.

My DH quite definitely prefers foods sweeter than I do, although he doesn't have a sweet tooth as such. We keep MW around and I use it to make his sandwiches. His potato salads, cole slaws and bottled salad dressings are all safe from me...and the reverse is true as well.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I detest ketchup in all of it's forms. Can't even stand the smell of it. Breaks my heart when I make  garlic and rosemary roasted new potatoes and my wife and kid dump that stuff all over them.

I truly dislike MW, but not as much as ketchup.

I do like mayo and will occasionally dip fries in it.

I can't tell the difference between Duke's and Helman's. I usually get the Helman's because Dukes only comes in a 32oz size here. That's probably a year's supply. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

@chileheadmike

Thank Your So Much :

"""  I can't tell the difference between Duke's and Helman's """

Ive never had Duke's

Im pleased it has a regional following

Ill sleep a bit easer tonight

that i know

in the World of Mayo

Dukes is similar to Helman's

2 Kudos your way.

• Like 2

There are some new ketchup brands coming to the market. I tried Sir Kensington ketchup and didn't like it. It had a very "dry" texture (you know how sriracha sauce has some texture to it? IMHO, it's not a true liquid/sauce like ketchup). I thought Sir Kensington had a similar non-sauce texture.

If you're looking to try a new ketchup, try your store brand. I tried Vons brand ketchup and found the spices to be assertive...meaning you could really taste them...unlike Heinz or Hunts ketchups where every bottle tastes the same and you can't really picks out individual spices. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

I like ketchup, but not on eggs or, as my cousins in my youth horrified me by eating, on macaroni and cheese.  (Even worse, the macaroni and cheese--Kraft--was leftover that had been refrigerated overnight and then fried in butter.  In case you should wonder, this does very little good for a food that is really not that good to begin with, and I say this as a woman who still loves that cheesy salty neon saucy delicousness). 

Ketchup is for various permutations of meat and potatoes, often mixed with mayo and mustard (or sometimes ranch) to dip fries and fishsticks in (add relish and it substitutes for tartar sauce), slathered on crispy hashbrowns or corned beef hash, squirted on hotdogs, hamburgers, meatloaf, and that ilk.  

I mostly use Best Foods (Hellman's east of the Rockies!) for all mayonnaise-type dressing applications (including potato salad, which does also include yellow mustard--just made a batch today, and it's delicious, if I do say so myself) but I retain a secret love of Miracle Whip from childhood when, I kid you not, I used to sneak into my dad's kitchen at night and eat it out of the jar.  With a spoon.  

• Like 1

I like mayo. I also like Miracle Whip. I think some things taste better with one, some with the other. I also like ketchup. Sometimes I eat fries when I don't even want them just as an excuse to eat ketchup because it seems a bit odd to eat it by itself. But I do not like ketchup on eggs (that's a job for hot sauce) or grilled cheese. My older girl puts ketchup on mac and cheese... which is also blatantly wrong. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Miriravan said:

I like ketchup, but not on eggs or, as my cousins in my youth horrified me by eating, on macaroni and cheese.  (Even worse, the macaroni and cheese--Kraft--was leftover that had been refrigerated overnight and then fried in butter.  In case you should wonder, this does very little good for a food that is really not that good to begin with, and I say this as a woman who still loves that cheesy salty neon saucy delicousness). 

Ketchup is for various permutations of meat and potatoes, often mixed with mayo and mustard (or sometimes ranch) to dip fries and fishsticks in (add relish and it substitutes for tartar sauce), slathered on crispy hashbrowns or corned beef hash, squirted on hotdogs, hamburgers, meatloaf, and that ilk.  

I mostly use Best Foods (Hellman's east of the Rockies!) for all mayonnaise-type dressing applications (including potato salad, which does also include yellow mustard--just made a batch today, and it's delicious, if I do say so myself) but I retain a secret love of Miracle Whip from childhood when, I kid you not, I used to sneak into my dad's kitchen at night and eat it out of the jar.  With a spoon.  

Love ketchup up on Mac and cheese but only the homemade baked kind. Wouldn't dream of putting it on Kraft. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I never use tomato ketchup. not ever.

Never had Miracle Whip, but having read about it, I've decided it's a miracle whoever invented it wasn't whipped!

I usually make my own mayo, but will eat Hellman's if there is no choice.

Hellmann's has made its way to Liuzhou?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, kayb said:

KETCHUP ON CORNED BEEF HASH?????

Heretic. Off in search of the tar and feathers....  :)

LOL That's what I grew up with, too. But the corned beef has to be the pasty, fatty canned kind.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

LOL That's what I grew up with, too. But the corned beef has to be the pasty, fatty canned kind.

Is corned beef hash made out of anything BUT the canned kind?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4