• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Correlation between Miracle Whip users and Ketchup users?

Oh yeah, my hot dog is well dressed.  Mayo ketchup and yellow mustard.....and sweet pickle relish to  mush it all together.  Probably leave

the dog itself out and I wouldn't notice until I'd had several bites.  Joey "Jaws" Chestnut hates me. 'cause he has to eat 'em plain.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My mom grew up during the Great Depression. She ate Miracle Whip sandwiches (too poor to afford a protein). Loved it all of her life. Which is why I am a MW guy to this day. 

In college I worked in an on-campus cafeteria. Sometimes for staff lunch, we'd eat our french fries with Thousand Island dressing, which, if you squint, is a sort of combo of ketchup and MW.xD Delicious.

Kerry, you now have me jonesing for some home-made french fries. For your proposed study, I like MW and I enjoy ketchup (must be Heinz) and even put ketchup on my hot dogs (ducks his head and runs for cover ;) ).

I used to eat MW and potato chip on Wonderbread sandwiches.  Haven't had one for years.  I bet I'd still like them!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Oh Shelby, he was in Ottumwa, 23 miles north of us last weekend.  He won, Of course he did, a contest eating loose meat burgers.  Shoved in 38 in ten minutes.  Our county treasurer took third place with 12.  As the world's slowest eater, I'd still be picking at my first burger. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Oh Shelby, he was in Ottumwa, 23 miles north of us last weekend.  He won, Of course he did, a contest eating loose meat burgers.  Shoved in 38 in ten minutes.  Our county treasurer took third place with 12.  As the world's slowest eater, I'd still be picking at my first burger. 

LOL I'd love to see you sit down with my mom some time. Recently, mid-meal, she put down her fork, looked at me in some embarrassment, and said "I'm the only person I know who can work up an appetite by eating supper."

Yeah, she really does take that long. My dad used to serve her first, then get his plate, then get up and have seconds, then have coffee and watch the news, then go and weed the garden for a while, then come back in and reheat her plate for her in the microwave to save her getting up AGAIN to do it herself (2-4 times is typical, depending on the size of the meal, and still almost everything she eats is cold).

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Hmmm.   I embarrass Mr. Kim to death by putting that mixture on cheesesteaks. 

Long day, just got home, looking forward to this thread -  and I read your post entirely too quickly and stopped short because I thought I'd read cheeseCAKE  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hellman's. Hands down. And the full-fat, no bells and whistles variety, please.

Ketchup (Heinz or Hunts, or the Aldi store brand, Burman's, ain't bad) as a glaze for meat loaf or a dip for French fries or the basis for shrimp cocktail sauce. 

And nobody asked but one should have a spicy brown mustard for sandwiches, a sweet hot mustard for dipping, and ballpark mustard for making potato salad.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

I enjoy ketchup (must be Heinz) and even put ketchup on my hot dogs (ducks his head and runs for cover ;) ). 

You're not the one who concerns me.  Mayo on a hot dog? 😲

5 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Oh yeah, my hot dog is well dressed.  Mayo ketchup and yellow mustard.....and sweet pickle relish 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

For heathens who put mustard into their potato salad.

Lol. It’s one of the valid options. Just don’t do it more than every two years and only if you are serving pork. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

For heathens who put mustard into their potato salad.

Guilty confession: I put mustard AND ketchup, along with the mayo, in my potato salad.

Although I made one this year from the NYT that's dressed with a dijon viniagrette, and that wasn't bad at all.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

There is potato salad without mustard ?!?!

Well, there are many without (shudder) ballpark mustard... :P

(disclosure: ketchup and ballpark mustard stay in my pantry for the sake of visiting grandkids, so my kitchen is not entirely innocent of them)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

And to n++ your study

MW -- yuck.  Never.

Ketchup -- rarely.  Necessary for cocktail sauce with large quantities of hot horseradish.  Ok on hash and hashbrowns.  

Mayo-- good on any and everything.  Been using it in place of butter on the bread in grilled cheese to great effect.  Thanks Alton Brown.

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

4 minutes ago, cdh said:

What is this talk of Miracle whip not containing eggs?  How is the emulsion made without?  Is that the miracle? Better living through the science of soy lecithin?

from wikipedia;  says there are eggs.

Miracle Whip is made from water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, spice, and dried garlic.

IMHO Miracle Whip is just seasoned, flavored mayo.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

from wikipedia;  says there are eggs.

Miracle Whip is made from water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, spice, and dried garlic.

Yes, there are eggs. But the High-Fructose Corn Syrup has been removed. Here is the current ingredients label.

49D37D96-255F-4C49-A648-0D833A3E8874.thumb.jpeg.cc9e63e79af234971984ca6a174dbc97.jpeg

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

Kerry wants to apply for a government grant to study the correlation between  miracle whip use and ketchup use. Her hypothesis is that people who don’t like miracle whip are the same people who don’t like ketchup on their scrambled egg or grilled cheese sandwiches. Discuss 

I'm a little late to this but I like Miracle Whip and ketchup with scrambled eggs.  The ketchup must be Hunt's.

Edited by ElsieD
Edited to add must be Hunt's (log)