• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Correlation between Miracle Whip users and Ketchup users?

Host's note: this innocent-seeming topic was split from Manitoulin -- Life on the Level, to prevent it from permanently derailing the foodblog.

Kerry wants to apply for a government grant to study the correlation between  miracle whip use and ketchup use. Her hypothesis is that people who don’t like miracle whip are the same people who don’t like ketchup on their scrambled egg or grilled cheese sandwiches. Discuss 

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't like scrambled eggs (or eggs in any form). I like grilled cheese. I like ketchup with grilled cheese. I am indifferent on Miracle Whip vs Mayo (but probably lean towards MW since I always "sense" the egg in mayo and it kind of skeeves me out). So I'm not a textbook case.

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I don't like scrambled eggs (or eggs in any form). I like grilled cheese. I like ketchup with grilled cheese. I am indifferent on Miracle Whip vs Mayo (but probably lean towards MW since I always "sense" the egg in mayo and it kind of skeeves me out). So I'm not a textbook case.

Well I knew there would be outliers we had no clue that the very first response would be an outlier. Congratulations.😂

• Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Ketchup on scrambled eggs is an abomination. Of course, ketchup on most things is an abomination.

We need you to cooperate fully. Without your opinion on miracle whip we would have to exclude you from the study. 🙁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Ketchup is for fries , but Mayo is always better  ( Hellman's or TJ's )

if its on a commercial burger I wont raise a fuss , but tomato is for burgers instead of K.

therefore :

no ketchup on eggs , cottage cheese etc.

and Mayo is Hellman's  or best Foods or home made

want MW for somethings ?  just add some sugar to H or BF

for that sweet macaroni salad or slaw.

• Like 3

I grew up on Miracle Whip, which was what I knew as "mayo," but - like a few other high-sugar childhood favorites - can't stomach it now. 

Ketchup only for fries, and not always then (if there's a more interesting alternative). So yeah, put me in the yes to mayonnaise , no to MW/ketchup category.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

OK. We have mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip. But I don't eat mayonnaise much (preferring butter). DH will put mayonnaise on anything (almost). He also doesn't use ketchup.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 1

I LOVE both ketchup and mayo (Best Foods, please). 

Ketchup on fries or hash browns, most any potatoes.  And ketchup on pasties (of you don't have any gravy).

• Like 2

Hmmm.  Well, I love catsup on scrambled eggs, but haven’t ever tried it on grilled cheese.  BUT, I love grilled cheese with Campbell’s tomato soup, so I probably do and just don’t know it.  And, as I already stated, I like Miracle Whip on certain things.  One of the great “Bastard Condiments” (another thread) is a mixture of catsup and mayo/Miracle Whip.  I embarrass Mr. Kim to death by putting that mixture on cheesesteaks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

IMO ketchup on anything is an abomination. Same for Miracle Whip. Ketchup* as an ingredient in a sauce can be an exception. We have a still-nearly-full bottle of ketchup that I bought 1 or 2 years for such a purpose, and if history repeats itself I'll keep it another year or two before pitching it, the way I did with the bottle I bought for guests years ago.

My darling also doesn't use ketchup on anything, but he prefers MW. He professes not to feel as strongly as I about most foods, and would take exception to my use of the word "abomination"...but you should see him flinch when I say we're having lamb for dinner! :D 

*or catsup, but respelling doesn't change my attitude

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Kerry wants to apply for a government grant to study the correlation between  miracle whip use and ketchup use. Her hypothesis is that people who don’t like miracle whip are the same people who don’t like ketchup on their scrambled egg or grilled cheese sandwiches. Discuss 

I do not and would not put ketchup on eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches. I do not like ketchup on bread of any kind. My DH and I grew up with Miracle Whip, like Chromedome, and it was mayo to us. We also grew up on margarine instead of butter. My husband still prefers miracle whip and margarine, but I have moved to real mayo and butter. He will put ketchup on hot dogs, burgers and fries, but not on eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches. I only like ketchup on meatloaf and with fries.

PS The ketchup should be Heinz!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 5

The day I retired I vowed there would be no more margarine in my life.  I grew up on "oleo" as my folks called it.  One of my Nanas took pity on me when I stayed there.  She would take marble sized balls of wonderful butter, roll them in brown sugar and give them to me.  Better than any candy I've ever had  And, yes, I was the only grandchild she had and I could get away with near murder.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Ketchup-must be Heinz- on scrambled eggs, MW on grill cheese, MW AND mayo for potato salad.

• Like 5

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Never one to miss an opportunity to say I hate something. 

Miracle Whip belongs in the Museum of Inexplicably bad American Foods. I grew up on Hellman's, switched to Best Foods when I moved to CA and then discovered Duke's and never looked back.

Yes, Heinz Ketchup was ubiquitous when I grew up. I find it nearly inedible now, and that's why it is the only condiment I am willing to make from scratch--and I do, although I am not a heavy user anyway. On my plate eggs and ketchup will never meet. But eggs with red  chile New Mexico style? Now that's heaven.  When I have fries I really want aioli with them. I never even heard of putting ketchup on a grilled cheese sandwich. Who does that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I never even heard of putting ketchup on a grilled cheese sandwich. Who does that?

I do, but not “on” the sandwich, it is more of a “dip the edge in” situation, and only if it is old school grilled cheese made with white bread and basic american or similar. Fancy cheese/bread, no ketchup.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Miracle Whip has no redeeming value. Hellman(n)'s does, whether homemade or store-bought. Ketchup (Heinz or bust, as any now- or one-time Pittsburgher will tell you!) is only for frites if mayo isn't available, and for burgers if a decent tomato slice is nowhere to be seen. I'll add a tomato slice to a grilled cheese sandwich, never ketchup!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I'm happy to confirm her hypothesis, I don't care for either substance on anything, too sweet.  Not really into regular mayo either.  Give me hot sauce on my eggs and mustard or vinegar for my fries.  A grilled cheese sandwich is perfect without condiments.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Considering its about Miracle Whip, she ought to apply to the Petroleum Research Board.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

My mom grew up during the Great Depression. She ate Miracle Whip sandwiches (too poor to afford a protein). Loved it all of her life. Which is why I am a MW guy to this day. 

In college I worked in an on-campus cafeteria. Sometimes for staff lunch, we'd eat our french fries with Thousand Island dressing, which, if you squint, is a sort of combo of ketchup and MW.xD Delicious.

Kerry, you now have me jonesing for some home-made french fries. For your proposed study, I like MW and I enjoy ketchup (must be Heinz) and even put ketchup on my hot dogs (ducks his head and runs for cover ;) ).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

we'd eat our french fries with Thousand Island dressing

Me too!   Also, when eating fries at Wendy's, I dipped them in my Frosty.  

Now, I must get some MW.  I've taken to making our own mayo for quite some time, but now I'm hungry for it.

I need a fried egg sandwich with ketchup on one side and MW on the other.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1