• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Were Your Kids Upset By Your Ingredients?

Living in a new place, it's a new relationship to food for all of us. Last week, I saw my son's face pale with distress for various reasons: The bodies of the quail were too small; the dressed rabbits, "had eyes";  the prepared frogs legs, "looked slimy"; and when I lifted the soup ladle at the Chinese restaurant from the crock of duck soup and voila, a ducks head? "Please put that away, Mom."  He was willing to eat it, he just didn't want to see the evidence.  

I'm hoping this is a phase. Anyone else?

I believe I'd be grossed out to have a duck head appear from the depths unannounced.

When I read the title of this thread I was thinking about our kids recoiling from capers or chicken liver.  LOL

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 1

It's all about exposure and education.

Not knowing how old your kids are or how much you have told them about where their food comes from; I cannot comment much further than that.

I can tell you that with my 6 year old, he loves fish eye balls, cheeks, and my other little guy loves sweetbreads -

Though we had the usual issues with our daughter (disliking the look of something quite ordinary), we never had a problem with 'funny' foods.  Whole fish, ducks with heads hanging up at Chinese restaurants, crabs (including soft shells) - all of that was ok.  But she was almost 4 before she would willingly eat pineapple or pork chops (she was required to try them every time we had them).  She doesn't eat snails, but willing tried them at age 3 - she just never liked them.  

• Like 2

We all have to come to terms with where our food comes from and whether or not to eat animals. Everyone's time-table is different and I've never met two vegetarians with the exact same rationale. I find plenty of foods unappetizing and some foods really gross for whatever reasons. I never believed in requiring my daughter to try everything, either. I get the impulse, but mostly it just seemed like too much work. @fondue I can sympathize with your son's culture shock. He'll figure it out, one way or another and will become a more tolerant person for it. After seventy plus years I don't want duck soup surprise either. His response seemed more grown up than mine might have been. He sounds lovely.

• Like 1