• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods, etc.

rotuts

39 minutes ago, Duvel said:

With the adequate condiments an OK burger.

Seems like this is the consensus so far.  Is OK good enough for repeat purchases at higher end, or is OK only good enough for cheap & fast? 

11 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Seems like this is the consensus so far.  Is OK good enough for repeat purchases at higher end, or is OK only good enough for cheap & fast? 

I don't know why one would choose this at a high end place.    If for dietary reasons, there should be many more inventeve house-made options.    For me, this sandwich is a good option at a fast food place since I don't eat ground beef out.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

16 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

If you could convince me that there is a significant advantage over the conventional burger, maybe ...

At this point I do not subscribe to the health benefits, neither to saving the world by substituting 1 burger or so per month with meat substitute. So, it boils down to taste and for me it doesn’t justify a premium ...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

but you know there might be a Wagyu chaser

suprise.gif.c233cc335ea8ecdfdca1b2aca7ae79cb.gif

I just boarded the plane and discovered that burger is one of their snack options. I couldn’t confirm whether it’s Wagyu, so might need to sample ...

5C013515-58E5-4D25-AA80-A0F8BC53DABC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I just boarded the plane and discovered that burger is one of their snack options. I couldn’t confirm whether it’s Wagyu, so might need to sample ...

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

As something that has to be made hours in advance in an airline caterer's kitchen, transported and reheated, an airburger defies credibility.    Ah...Cathay Airlines.    Will listen for your review.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

@Margaret Pilgrim

excellent points.

some time ago

as Im do like my ' Food related Videos'

and over time 

they helped me w my technique etc

a series I can't forget when

was about " Very large Cooking "

forgot the exact title , but is was about Big Cooing

an airline , from the middle east

with massive sized airplanes 

on this show shoed their central Kitchens

on their Hub , in the middle  east

i can't recall the name

but its what ever is the biggest around

ot explored the airlines massive kitchen

the time issue and how they made their food for their airlines

I was deeply impressed 

on their food stuff procurements 

the attention to deal on their menus

and their understanding on getting it to the planes 

on time

and that it might result in a fine or decent meal to their passangers

don't worry 

your paid for it 

one way or another

sorry I can't ref this

but  the food staff and chef went out or they way

for those meals

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Lemniscate, any idea how to make these?

I don't and I wouldn't even know where to begin.  I do know there is no grains in the ingredients.  Here's a pic of ingredients I took off the bag months back to prove to a vegetarian friend it contained no tomatoes (she's allergic)

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 2.18.00 PM.png

• Thanks 1

A slight digression, there’s a new product here in Australia called Sunfed chicken free chicken. It was developed and tested in the New Zealand market and proved very popular, hence it’s launch in Oz.

I tried it last week, making a creamy mushroom sauce to bathe it, with mash potatoes and garlic spinach alongside. My mistake was adding the “not chicken” into the sauce, rather I should have served it up and poured the sauce on top. During pan time the pea protein absorbed all the sauce. It tasted like chicken and the texture was like shredded chicken. The only downside was the price, $10 for 300 grams. 

7020617F-65E1-44DC-8FE9-50E05E44DFA3.thumb.jpeg.4b6d0dfc79ce2f0f790dafde68264022.jpeg

• Like 4

On airline food....A recent show over here did taste tests at normal & high altitude (in a hyperbaric chamber)

It turns out your taste buds change with altitude. The altitude dampens down their response. Airlines produce food that is very spicy but when eaten at altitude its fine. If they produce food that tastes fine on the ground, it is almost bland in the air.

Generally, airline catering is pretty impressive, given the logistics and the huge range of passenger tastes to cater for.

On the vegetable  balls...that's the way they should be marketed, not as fake or "artificial" meatballs.

• Like 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric

thank you

so:

the Not Chicken in USD is

USD :  6.89 for 300 grams

ie   or USD 10.44  / lbs.

hoping something is cheaper down there 

Fruit ?  Shoes ?

Ha ha, actual chicken is much cheaper....depending on the cut it can be as low as $3 per kilo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

On airline food....A recent show over here did taste tests at normal & high altitude (in a hyperbaric chamber)

It turns out your taste buds change with altitude. The altitude dampens down their response. Airlines produce food that is very spicy but when eaten at altitude its fine. If they produce food that tastes fine on the ground, it is almost bland in the air.

Generally, airline catering is pretty impressive, given the logistics and the huge range of passenger tastes to cater for.

On the vegetable  balls...that's the way they should be marketed, not as fake or "artificial" meatballs.

Airline food, its concepts, cost, country of origin, is the subject of an entirely new thread.

eGullet member #80.

20 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Does anyone know what the "fake" burger is made of? I have gout and have to avoid things like dried beans etc.

From this article in Food Business News about Beyond Burger: 

water, pea protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, contains 2% or less of the following: cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, natural flavor, maltodextrin, yeast extract, salt, sunflower oil, vegetable glycerin, dried yeast, gum Arabic, citrus extract (to protect quality), ascorbic acid (to maintain color), beet juice extract (for color), acetic acid, succinic acid, modified food starch, annatto (for color).

And from the Impossible Foods website:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

As something that has to be made hours in advance in an airline caterer's kitchen, transported and reheated, an airburger defies credibility.    Ah...Cathay Airlines.    Will listen for your review.

Hahaha ... I think you underestimate the guys 😋

I fell asleep after the steak ... so no burger. But I fly back tomorrow ...

EA1B11D4-1F41-48B8-8B78-CE903DD306F0.jpeg

• Like 3

From what I understand, neither of the fake proteins are a more healthy option for someone seeking to stay on a non-meat diet.

It'd be different if they found the products were "better for you". Less fat? Less salt? Higher in fiber? No one has made that claim with these fake meat burgers at all of the fast food joints.

Right now, they're not, or I haven't heard such claims if they're being made.

So why eat it?

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I'm dragged to a fast-food place, I look for a non-beef product.     I don't eat ground beef that I haven't seen ground with my own eyes.   Or done it myself.     Everyone has his own hangups.  

I have no dietary concerns re fat or salt or fiber.    Just don't like mystery meat.    Am okay with mystery veg.    😉

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Just noticed this new offering in the Costco snack bar today.  Al Pastor soy protein and Bahn Mi veg all in one bowl?   Sounds like a weird combo.  I will not be taking one for the team and trying this one.

IMG_8136.PNG

And to think they dropped the Polish Dog for this? >:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver